Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum so first of all I'd like to say hello to everyone :)

In April next year me, my wife and two young kids are moving from Thailand to Alicante, however our flight lands in Madrid I'm trying to plan the best way of getting from Madrid Barajas airport to Alicante.

I've checked out some flights but they are not at suitable times, being either too early or too late (we land 08:45am).

I was wondering if there is a train service anyone can recommend that we could use?

I've had a look but I can't seem to find anything solid, so I thought best to ask the advice of the expert expats :D

Cheers for any help or tips here guys, much appreciated!

Matt

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hello, I think most folks here are asleep. I'm pretty familiar with Madrid.
You will want to take the renfe cercainus train from Terminal 4 at barajas leaves every 20-30 minute for alicante at atocha get on the AVE train to Alicante. 2-3 hour trip. Has regular frequency not sure how much but somewhere between 35 and 50. be at the station at lease 30 minutes before it leaves,

·
Registered
393 Posts
The high-speed "AVE" train departs from Atocha station in Madrid. You can buy tickets online here: Renfe .

Here's a hot tip: The AVE tickets include a journey on the Cercanías (local trains in Madrid), so you can travel from the airport to Atocha station at no extra cost. When you print out your AVE ticket, you will see a 5-character "Combinado/Cercanías" code. Type that code into the Cercanías ticket machines at the airport, and the machine will print out your Cercanías ticket. Look here to see a sample code:
CombinadoCercanías y TRAM

Here's a site in English with general info about the local Cercanías trains from the airport:
Local trains - Public transport - Adolfo Suárez Madrid-Barajas Airport - Aena

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey guys,

Thanks so much for the replies, much appreciated! :)

I will have a look now at see what I can find out.

Of course another option would be to hire a car and make the drive but after what will be nearly 20 hours of travelling with two young kids, I'm not sure it will be a good idea for the first time I drive on the right hand side of the road :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts