Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I wanted to ask that if I have option to waive the traffic fine, I believe I have a valid reason and required proof to prove situation that required me speeding on Al-Khail road on 30th of June and break one signal on oud-metha near American Hospital. I am expecting around 2500+ AED :(

My wife went into labor on 30th of June Morning and I had to drive from Sport City to American Hospital, I had to take speed above 140 KM/hr (Al-khail limit is 1200km) to ensure she gets to hospital in time as she was about to deliver.

We reached hospital just in time and she delivered a healthy baby boy at 5.48 AM. This has been noted by hospital staff in the birth notification which can be provided upon request.

Can you please let me know if I can take the orginal docs to some place and request for reconsideration of these tickets.
Thx

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,963 Posts
Hi,
You are welcome to try - but I would not hold out much hope.
In future - make sure you call an ambulance.
They have all the emergency equipment on board (unlike your car), have lots of blue lights that magically make other traffic move over (a bit!) and they are fairly immune to speed cameras.
It is safer for your wife in an ambulance - paramedics can deliver babies in the back and are well trained. They even have colour coded ambulances for ladies in labour!!
Congratulations on your new arrival!
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Correct, that was the initial plan to call ambulance, we even sorted out the steps that we will do to call an ambulance. But unfortunately between water break and contraction (<7 mins) it was hardly 10 mins - leaving less room to think, but to react!

·
Super Moderator
6,963 Posts
Correct, that was the initial plan to call ambulance, we even sorted out the steps that we will do to call an ambulance. But unfortunately between water break and contraction (<7 mins) it was hardly 10 mins - leaving less room to think, but to react!
Still a bad call - but luckily you had a good outcome (apart from the fine!)

·
Registered
451 Posts
Congrats on the baby, but speeding for a delivery wouldn't be a valid excuse in my opinion.

I am on call 24/7 and I get calls to the hospital for cases much more serious than deliveries that require me to arrive ASAP, but I still abide to the speed limit, otherwise I would always have excuses to break loads of signals and speed. I never heard of an option for physicians to waive traffic fines.

You can still try though. Otherwise just consider the fines part of the delivery costs :)

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Well, I did read about an Emirati (a few years back) who got flashed by most cameras on SZR but was excused because his child was not well and he had to rush back home ;)

Things might change on a case by case basis :D

Congratulations in any case!

·
Super Moderator
6,963 Posts
Well, I did read about an Emirati (a few years back) who got flashed by most cameras on SZR but was excused because his child was not well and he had to rush back home ;)

Things might change on a case by case basis :D

Congratulations in any case!
I think the clue is in the nationality!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts