Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than Segovia, are there towns at or above 1000m elevation with population 25k or more? Ideally any such town would be within a 3 hour public transit ride from a town of 250k population or more. Any comments about air pollution from your first hand experience would be welcome.

My research turned up villages, towns under 5k population and one place filled with tourists and second homes - San Lorenzo de El Escorial.

·
Registered
19,437 Posts
Other than Segovia, are there towns at or above 1000m elevation with population 25k or more? Ideally any such town would be within a 3 hour public transit ride from a town of 250k population or more. Any comments about air pollution from your first hand experience would be welcome.

My research turned up villages, towns under 5k population and one place filled with tourists and second homes - San Lorenzo de El Escorial.
That's a funny description of San Lorenzo :D:D
It certainly does receive a large number of tourists, and there are second homes there, but there is a stalwart indigenous population, I can assure you!
I was there last Friday for an amazing short walk in the hills named Abantos. There was a fire there about 10 years ago, but it was repopulated with native plants in an award winning programme and it was bursting with flowering retamar, cantueso and so on.

I think you'll be hard pushed to find what you're looking for in Spain, let alone Segovia and surroundings. Here's a link to places to be found in Spain at over 1000m. The numbers of the population are not in 1000's, so when it says 60 people live there for example, it means 60.

Pueblos más altos de España

PS make sure you know your visa options before making any plans to come!

·
Registered
19,437 Posts
I don't understand this, what am I missing? Segovia meets both the elevation and population criteria in my question.
Well, I think there's Segovia and little else in that area, at that height, with that population. I may be wrong. You can look at the link.
Reading your post again it seems I misread and thought you were talking about the area around Segovia, but still, most high up towns, and over 1000m is thought of as high here, tend to be on the smaller side rather than the bigger.
See what others who know different areas of Spain better than I do have to say!

·
Administrator
36,699 Posts
I don't understand this, what am I missing? Segovia meets both the elevation and population criteria in my question.

I thought your post sounded as if you'd discounted Segovia :confused2:

you ask about air pollution - is it especially altitude you want or clean air?

you don't necessarily have to go high to get clean air

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought your post sounded as if you'd discounted Segovia :confused2:

you ask about air pollution - is it especially altitude you want or clean air?
Seems to me my mention of Segovia showed I already knew about it, so was seeking additional towns.

I can see how my wording about air pollution could be clearer. If there are towns that meet my elevation and size criteria, then I welcome any info about air pollution.

·
Administrator
36,699 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Cuenca's old town, up on the cliffs with the famous "hanging houses." It's 1 hour by fast train to Madrid.

Also look at Ávila.

Other than Segovia, are there towns at or above 1000m elevation with population 25k or more? Ideally any such town would be within a 3 hour public transit ride from a town of 250k population or more.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Never been to Soria, but I could quite happily imagine myself spending any remote chance I might have of retirement in Avila or Segovia...

All that roasted kid goat in winter!!!

Nice plan.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Personally I'd give Teruel a miss.
We use the motorway that runs round it quite frequently.
The motorway at that point is always much cooler than the road leading to and fro by several degrees, not nice in winter.
We did deviate into the town on one occasion, and found nothing that warranted mention or even looking at.
Will gladly stop again if somebody on here can contradict me.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Dancebert, I notice that you are in Thailand, as I am.

If I can be of any help to you (I lived for 9 years in Madrid, so know Spain quite well), just let me know.

·
Registered
395 Posts
One advantage that Cuenca has is that it's really well-connected by high-speed rail to large cities. Besides Madrid, which I mentioned earlier, Cuenca is about 1 hour to Valencia, 1.5 hours to Alicante, 2 hours to Cordoba and 3 hours to Sevilla.

Ideally any such town would be within a 3 hour public transit ride from a town of 250k population or more.

·
Registered
19,437 Posts
One advantage that Cuenca has is that it's really well-connected by high-speed rail to large cities. Besides Madrid, which I mentioned earlier, Cuenca is about 1 hour to Valencia, 1.5 hours to Alicante, 2 hours to Cordoba and 3 hours to Sevilla.
But it is actually below 1000m...

Soria is a beautiful area, it's a small town and it is pretty cold in the winter. We found a bar that had a large pipe running along the length of the bar as a form of central heating. I think we went there three times in one afternoon the Easter we were visiting, just to warm up. Oh, they did have delicious torrijas too!:)
Torrija - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
2,131 Posts

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
All characterised by being absolutely bl**dy freezing winter. Especially Avila which is right next to the mountains

Living in Thailand, I can fully appreciate why being "bl**dy freezing" in winter would be quite an attractive proposition for the OP!

On my last trip to Europe (Berlin in February), I was outside in the street smoking in just a shirt on my upper body. A colleague asked me "aren't you cold?" and I replied "yes! and I'm loving it, I have to enjoy it while I can!"

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Personally I'd give Teruel a miss.
We use the motorway that runs round it quite frequently.
The motorway at that point is always much cooler than the road leading to and fro by several degrees, not nice in winter.
We did deviate into the town on one occasion, and found nothing that warranted mention or even looking at.
Will gladly stop again if somebody on here can contradict me.
Centre of Teruel contains some of the best Mudéjar architecture in Spain, as well as some interesting Modernista examples. Admittedly the centre is not that big and can definitely be "done" in a day, but it's definitely worth stopping off at.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.