Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'They woz robbed'!

Diabolically blatant handball by 'Handy' Henry, the result a travesty... which is why I really don't like watching football (soccer) any more. Almost as bad as Maradonna's "main de Dieu" all those years ago.

Overpaid prima donnas who cheat, sums up the sport these days. I would almost prefer to watch American football! ;)

·
Registered
428 Posts
I'm curious to find out what the majority of the French think about qualifying the way it happened?

I used to have the utmost respect for Henry and would like to wear the France National Team jersey I have, but am so disappointed by that display that I just can't do it.

However, won't change me wanting to spend time in France.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The French media was reporting shortly after the event that a majority of French people were both extremely embarrassed, and would have liked to see a replay. A minister broke ranks with Sarkozy to comment along similar lines. I can't see it happening though.

A French pal of mine and a fanatical French supporter and sports fan always gets in touch after a French victory over the Anglo-Saxons (including the Irish, even though I'm not remotely Irish) to rub it in. In 32 years he hasn't missed the opportunity once... until now! Not a peep out of him since Wednesday!

·
Registered
428 Posts
The French media was reporting shortly after the event that a majority of French people were both extremely embarrassed, and would have liked to see a replay. A minister broke ranks with Sarkozy to comment along similar lines. I can't see it happening though.

A French pal of mine and a fanatical French supporter and sports fan always gets in touch after a French victory over the Anglo-Saxons (including the Irish, even though I'm not remotely Irish) to rub it in. In 32 years he hasn't missed the opportunity once... until now! Not a peep out of him since Wednesday!
Thanks for the note. At least I know I can wear the jersey again and they do have honor under such a blatant handball.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ireland is up in arms over the whole thing but people put the blame more on FIFA accusing them of sticking to their guns in the interest of politics and money... Population: Ireland - 4m... France - 60m.

This is evident by the fact they only allowed for minimal talks and the fact that they messed around with the seeding of teams in the qualifications so that the big teams would have a chance whereas before they wouldn't!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ireland is up in arms over the whole thing but people put the blame more on FIFA accusing them of sticking to their guns in the interest of politics and money... Population: Ireland - 4m... France - 60m.

This is evident by the fact they only allowed for minimal talks and the fact that they messed around with the seeding of teams in the qualifications so that the big teams would have a chance whereas before they wouldn't!
Yes that was pretty pathetic. And it's crazy to have a situation where extra time is played in the return match where sides are on level terms, in a game of such importance, also giving clear advantage to the French.

I really can't be bothered with football any more. And that's from a man who once lived for the enormous pleasure of seeing the likes of Eire's Johny Giles play every other Saturday at Elland Road. Those were the days - the sport was still relatively gentlemanly, and the definition of an English 1st division side with foreign players meant that it put a mix of eleven English, Welsh, Scots and Irish on the pitch ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.