Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello. I am totally blind is there loop holes or anything that would permit me to move to the uk as a disabled person? from what I have been reading on the internet one just can't move you have to work, or know family from there, or have a gf, from there. is this all correct? I have blind friends from the uk the services fore the blind are better down there, your health care is better over there as well. thanks Hank

·
Administrator
50,384 Posts
Many of the terms and conditions for immigration to the UK (or any country) are established precisely to avoid people coming to a country solely for the benefits. The idea is supposed to be that benefits are provided for those who have contributed to the society, through tax revenues (or the tax revenues of their families).
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
25 Posts
As an optometrist with previous work with low vision patients, I do agree there are often limited resources for the visually impaired in this country. It really depends on which state you are in that determines what is available to you. I found working in Florida, there were more options than when I worked in some other states. It is a shame there is not more resources out there. Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hello thanks for the message. out of curiousity what = prompted you to move to the uk? and did you like the us? if there was any limitations to the blind in the uk what would you say they would be? take care
Hank

·
Registered
25 Posts
hello thanks for the message. out of curiousity what = prompted you to move to the uk? and did you like the us? if there was any limitations to the blind in the uk what would you say they would be? take care
Hank
I met and married a man from England. I am due to move there next month. I don't know anything about services for the blind in the UK or any rehabilitative care for the visually impaired. From personal experience in my travels over there, there is a lot more public transportation available which is vastly different to most cities in the US as you know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have heard the same as well.

let me know if you find anything out when you get down there also I hope things go well fore you during the move.
I met and married a man from England. I am due to move there next month. I don't know anything about services for the blind in the UK or any rehabilitative care for the visually impaired. From personal experience in my travels over there, there is a lot more public transportation available which is vastly different to most cities in the US as you know.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
how can you read replies?

·
Registered
25 Posts
how can you read replies?
Just as you can type and read from your computer so can any visually impaired and blind individual. I kind of get that you are inferring that this person may not be blind. I am out right saying if that is the case - shame on you. If not, you are just not educated on technology for people with unique or special needs - still a shame.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hello I use a screen reader its a piece of software that reads the screen to me in a computerized voice. hope this clears things up. I also type via a computer keyboard.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.