Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is an interesting idea for those of you are tired of lugging backpacks or suitcases on your trips: do not carry any luggage.

I recently made a two-day visit to Oporto and returned back to Galicia stopping in various cities with nothing more than the clothes on my body, a toothbrush, Bronners liquid soap and a book. It felt amazing.

All articles of clothing are made of polyester, microfiber, nylon, or a combination. This enables me to wash my clothes in a bucket or bathroom sink (using Bronners soap as the detergent) and then quickly dry overnight. This eliminates the need for extra clothing.

The variety of castille soap is also good for toothpaste, hand soap, body gel and shampoo.

I hope to go on longer trips while following the same philosophy. Your thoughts?

·
Banned
6,189 Posts
My thought is that toothpaste isn't that heavy.

I like to travel light and agree with the general principle. But not that light. I had a shirt stolen off a clothesline in Spain as it happens. If (when?) your one pair of pants is stolen it could be a bit awkward going clothes shopping.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I only wear natural fibres, and am too lazy to hand-wash my laundry, so I usually carry one change of clothes, occasionally two. A day pack (small backpack) is usually enough even for longer trips (except in winter) and I only need check-in luggage when I move.

Edited to add: I once checked in a single pocket knife (Swiss combi tool) in a plastic bag, just because I could not take it into the cabin, but wanted to have it on my trip.

·
Registered
107 Posts

I like to travel light and agree with the general principle. But not that light. I had a shirt stolen off a clothesline in Spain as it happens. If (when?) your one pair of pants is stolen it could be a bit awkward going clothes shopping.
Too funny!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Fair enough. I dry my clothes in my room.

Toothpaste is not heavy but I prefer not to use flouride so coconut oil (found in Bronners soap) works fine. I cleaned out a small Visine dropper and filled in with Bronners soap for all my shower, teeth and clothing needs. I put a label on it so nobody accidentally uses it for their eyes. That stuff is so concentrated and loaded with perpermint that it would burn your eyes like hell :eek2:

I can't post urls yet but just search "Total Nada travel mode" and there will be articles about people just doing pocket carry.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts