Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I am new to the forum and just looking for some advice please

I have recently moved to torrevieja, been here 5 weeks! and tbh me and my partner hate it!!! Its full of OAP's and not very much to do that we are interested in

so.... we want to move! With my work luckily I can live anywhere as I work from home, Id preferably like somewhere with some people our age im 29 my partner 35, some kind of nightlife, beaches, I have been looking at Malaga? does anyone live there who can give us some advice

thanks sarah

·
Registered
881 Posts
Torrevieja is a MINI Benidorm. Both equally horrid.

No need to go so far from there to find what you want. Malaga is good I suppose but you could also try north of Alicante, or anywhere from Valencia and south. Granada is good too!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know its awful! we was going to move to javea but changed our mind last min... what a big mistake that was! Well we are looking to move in feb so have plenty of time think we will check out the place first before moving there ha

·
Administrator
36,510 Posts
I know its awful! we was going to move to javea but changed our mind last min... what a big mistake that was! Well we are looking to move in feb so have plenty of time think we will check out the place first before moving there ha
why on earth would you do that ??

·
Registered
881 Posts
I think you should visit places around your area, maybe all the way up to Valencia city, Javea is very beautiful, as is Altea (vilages), and have a look around, if it is not for you, then you could try Malaga but the things you mention can be found easily anywhere as long as you stay far away from mini-UK towns like Benidorm, Torrevieja, etc...

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hi everyone

I have recently moved to torrevieja, been here 5 weeks! and tbh me and my partner hate it!!! Its full of OAP's and not very much to do that we are interested in

so.... we want to move! With my work luckily I can live anywhere as I work from home, Id preferably like somewhere with some people our age im 29 my partner 35, some kind of nightlife, beaches, I have been looking at Malaga? does anyone live there who can give us some advice

thanks sarah
Hiya - We live in Torrevieja as well

At your age you will be pretty much the youngest expats around! However we're 50 and do know a few younger people of British origin

You don't say what you are 'interested in' - and 5 weeks is nowhere near enough to form a true opinion of anywhere in the world! What sort of nightlife are you looking for?

Which area of Torrevieja do you live in? They vary a lot! There are plenty of nice beaches north and south, but I agree that the beaches in Torrevieja itself are rubbish - mainly because of their proximity to the dual-carriageway and the port (with all the ships taking salt/grit back to Britain for the winter!)

Do you have a car?

btw - I'm writing this whilst in Torremolinos for a few days!

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
16 Posts
Which areas in torrevieja are a good place to live all year round ? I was looking for some where that wasn't a ghost town in winter. I'd like a settled community, where I'd have neighbours, not summer lager louts and not a high rise apartment. I'd like a small bungalow or duplex. I would be also bringing my 2 small dogs, is Torrevieja dog friendly. PS, I'm a 52 yrs old female, so I'd like a safe area. Near to facilities or on a good bus route.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I guess it depends on the sort of nightlife you are looking for and what you consider 'old' and OAP's being in my early 50's I consider myself 'young'

Sounds like you might enjoy the Marbella, Costa Del Sol lifestyle..

·
Registered
16 Posts
I guess it depends on the sort of nightlife you are looking for and what you consider 'old' and OAP's being in my early 50's I consider myself 'young'

Sounds like you might enjoy the Marbella, Costa Del Sol lifestyle..
Hi, Golden eye,
Thanks but I didn't mention anything about OAPs or nightlife. Wouldn't like Costa del Crime, I would like to live near the salt lakes as I have very bad asthma and have read this is the healthiest place in the world for asthmatics, according to the World Health Organisation. I was just wondering was Torre dog friendly, and which areas would be the safest area to live in with year round neighbours.
:)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hi everyone

I have recently moved to torrevieja, been here 5 weeks! and tbh me and my partner hate it!!! Its full of OAP's and not very much to do that we are interested i

thanks sarah
Hi, Golden eye,
Thanks but I didn't mention anything about OAPs or nightlife. Wouldn't like Costa del Crime, I would like to live near the salt lakes as I have very bad asthma and have read this is the healthiest place in the world for asthmatics, according to the World Health Organisation. I was just wondering was Torre dog friendly, and which areas would be the safest area to live in with year round neighbours.
:)
H'mmm I was actually responding to sarah&darren the originator of this thread!! ! :confused2:

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Hi everyone

thanks sarah
Oh Dear, someone else who didn't look before they jumped. Can you please tell me why you went to somewhere that had everything going against it? I'm not condemning you, just trying to understand.

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
Oh Dear, someone else who didn't look before they jumped. Can you please tell me why you went to somewhere that had everything going against it? I'm not condemning you, just trying to understand.
Sometimes you just can't tell before you've experienced a place. We are a good example of that.
I'd been visitig Prague and Czechoslovakia/Czech Republic for decades and had always wanted to live there. But visiting and living are entirely different experiences which is why people who enjoy a holiday then decide the 'must' move to Spain are not basing their decision on firm foundations.
We loved our first year but the day-to-day reality of living in a country with standards and expectations very different from what we were used to came as a shock. But as we ignored everyone's advice and rented instead of buying and tying ourselves with unwanted and hard to sell property we were able to move with the minimum of fuss.
Same with Canada, another country we'd considered as a place to live. We even bought property there. But after spending a considerable amount of time in all seasons we decided that too wasn't for us.
So it's easy for me to understand. As I've said before, we didn't intend to settle here in Spain. If we had pursued our original plans we would have been in France or Italy now. Sometimes it can take just one bad experience to make you dislike a place - that may seem and indeed may be irrational - but it's how people are.
As for being surrounded by 'fogeys' -an odd term - I agree, I wouldn't like to live in the land of tight perms and blue rinses.
But neither would I like to live in a place full of drunks, stag and hen parties, whores and the hopeless and luckless of Europe. Hence our move.
I think that we've been fortunate to find somewhere 'normal'...with a good mix of all ages, types, tastes and habits.
As for the 'Costa Del Crime'...no denying, the hills behind Marbella and Estepona too contain the opulent, vulgar homes of many Mafiosi of many nationalities. But the level of street crime, certainly in my area, is low compared to the tourist resorts up the coast. I don't buy drugs, frequent brothels or do shady deals so these folk don't bother me.
From what I have read in the press, there are more wanted criminals hiding out in places with a large British immigrant popuation like Alicante and Torrevieja where they can blend in more easily than in places where there are fewer Brits.
The CdS isn't just Torremolinos, Fuengirola and Marbella...

·
Registered
194 Posts
Which areas in torrevieja are a good place to live all year round ? I was looking for some where that wasn't a ghost town in winter. I'd like a settled community, where I'd have neighbours, not summer lager louts and not a high rise apartment. I'd like a small bungalow or duplex. I would be also bringing my 2 small dogs, is Torrevieja dog friendly. PS, I'm a 52 yrs old female, so I'd like a safe area. Near to facilities or on a good bus route.
Hi. Whilst we don't have a dog ourselves, we know many people who do and I'm not aware of any particular problems for dogowners. Our local beach-bar is awash with dogs in the afternoons!

Torrevieja buses are rather good in my opinion. Most of them run every 40 minutes or so and are reliable. Also, if you're on one of these local bus routes then you really can't be far from the lakes! And if you become resident, they are free!

In order to be on a bus-route you don't want to be any further south than Punta Prima, and I think the northern limit is La Mata.

re having neighbours all year-round - I'd say that broadly speaking, if you stay to the east (sea) side of the N332 dual-carriageway then it will not be deserted in winter. We got it wrong when we first moved out here - we picked a place just 4kms or so inland and it was dead outside of the summer.

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Sometimes you just can't tell before you've experienced a place. We are a good example of that.
But just visiting, one can see that the majority of the people are older and the lifestyle is orientated around the older person. That is unless one only visits the bars and the beach.

Whenever we visit a place, in addition to seeing the sights and looking at the cultural/tourist scene, we visit a couple of supermarkets - great places to see the people in their natural habitat (we've all seen the 'People of Walmart'- want to share your life surrounded by them?) see what goods are on offer (quality and freshness of fruit and veg {local or imported?}, the meat and fish) and the prices (a good way the gauge some of the costs of living there). We look in estate agents' windows, look at what is on offer in that area, how long has it been for sale at that price (faded ads are a dead give-away) which gives an idea of how well it is priced), etc. What is the place like for petty crime or unruly behaviour (broken street-lights, graffiti), general air of prosperity or run-down (shops closed down or closing down) all the sort of things that might decide you to either want, or not want, to live there. Another good give-away is dog-poo (if there's lots about, people let their dogs run free or if the dogs are on a lead the people don't care about fouling other areas so probably don't care about much else either)

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
But just visiting, one can see that the majority of the people are older and the lifestyle is orientated around the older person. That is unless one only visits the bars and the beach.

Whenever we visit a place, in addition to seeing the sights and looking at the cultural/tourist scene, we visit a couple of supermarkets - great places to see the people in their natural habitat (we've all seen the 'People of Walmart'- want to share your life surrounded by them?) see what goods are on offer (quality and freshness of fruit and veg {local or imported?}, the meat and fish) and the prices (a good way the gauge some of the costs of living there). We look in estate agents' windows, look at what is on offer in that area, how long has it been for sale at that price (faded ads are a dead give-away) which gives an idea of how well it is priced), etc. What is the place like for petty crime or unruly behaviour (broken street-lights, graffiti), general air of prosperity or run-down (shops closed down or closing down) all the sort of things that might decide you to either want, or not want, to live there. Another good give-away is dog-poo (if there's lots about, people let their dogs run free or if the dogs are on a lead the people don't care about fouling other areas so probably don't care about much else either)
All that is true, Baldy...and in spite of very many visits over thirty years or more I hadn't really taken these things into account in Prague. The friends we visited were mainly well-to-do professionals involved in public/artistic life, people who had travelled, spoke many foreign languages. We ate in good restaurants or in people's houses, didn't have to buy food, clothes, the odd domestic item. Also, importantly, we didn't have to organise our own lives in any major way. We kind of floated above the routine, the humdrum.
And that's what you do when you're on holiday and one big reason why a 'dream 'fortnight in a hotel or rented villa in Spain in August is a bad reason for wanting to shift your whole life there forever.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks Stevec2x,
Your advice was most helpful and positive. Thank you on the advice of the areas to look at. I'll be going over in March or April to check out the areas and get a feel for them, talk to locals etc, in essence a fact finding mission.
I shall then be returning again in September, for another week to look at properties and maybe buy then. I'm going over to Torrevieja for health reasons and to escape the bad weather here, lashing wind and rain as i write and a lot very bad flooding in parts.
While I'm under no elusion that there is crime everywhere, some threads on this, had me totally petrified, with talks of people being gassed in their homes, bound up n burgled.
Thank you once again for your helpful positive advice.
Cheers, Juelz
While I'm under

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
escape the bad weather here, lashing wind and rain as i write and a lot very bad flooding in parts.
We get those here in Spain as well; we also get roads being washed out and sliding down the mountainside as well.

While I'm under no elusion that there is crime everywhere, some threads on this, had me totally petrified, with talks of people being gassed in their homes, bound up n burgled.
But the Civil war is over and, for the most part, the Guardia Civil are a bit better behaved now. As for the Mossos up in the Barcelona area... that is another story.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts