Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just re-watching an episode of Top Gear filmed in southern Spain. While I am sure some of it must be staged to some extent, it does rather cover many of the problems in Spain at the moment.

Travelling from "Essex" Puerta Banus to Granada, their cars have been the only ones on an entire stretch of motorway, first class road suddenly stops, they have passed through a ghost town with hundreds of brand new, empty properties and are now in a deserted brand new airport - completely kitted out with computers (switched on), luggage trolleys, lines painted on the runway for planes landing.......

So very sad really.....

·
Banned
1,832 Posts
I'm just re-watching an episode of Top Gear filmed in southern Spain. While I am sure some of it must be staged to some extent, it does rather cover many of the problems in Spain at the moment.

Travelling from "Essex" Puerta Banus to Granada, their cars have been the only ones on an entire stretch of motorway, first class road suddenly stops, they have passed through a ghost town with hundreds of brand new, empty properties and are now in a deserted brand new airport - completely kitted out with computers (switched on), luggage trolleys, lines painted on the runway for planes landing.......

So very sad really.....
Staged from start to finish (hey that's showbiz) ;)

·
Registered
15,936 Posts
Staged from start to finish (hey that's showbiz) ;)
But all these things exist. Toll roads are often deserted, there are several new airports with no flights, and loads of properties and urbs that were never completed or sold.

Brocher, what was the "take" of Clarkson et al on all this? Come to Spain and have a motorway all to yourself?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But all these things exist. Toll roads are often deserted, there are several new airports with no flights, and loads of properties and urbs that were never completed or sold.

Brocher, what was the "take" of Clarkson et al on all this? Come to Spain and have a motorway all to yourself?

Sure they stage where they go to some extent, so they can take full advantage of the empty roads and runways but as Alca says these things really do exist in great numbers - they didn't just take advantage ofisolated instances.

Alca, much though they had great fun using an empty runway to race, empty streets to make a mini Grand Prix, etc, they all said that they had no idea that things were so bad in Spain- exactly what we say about Brits understanding of the crisis all the time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts