Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
36,511 Posts
I'd have no objections to being considered Spanish, but I think that is unlikely except by another foreigner
nor me

some of the teachers at school tell me that my elder daughter is more Spanish than most of the kids born here to Spanish parents though.........

·
Registered
19,386 Posts
nor me

some of the teachers at school tell me that my elder daughter is more Spanish than most of the kids born here to Spanish parents though.........
Yes, but she has spent most of her life, and since a very young age here hasn't she?

Actually, I've spent more time here than in the UK, but I haven't gone native exactly. Become accepting of local ways maybe:)

·
Administrator
36,511 Posts
Yes, but she has spent most of her life, and since a very young age here hasn't she?

Actually, I've spent more time here than in the UK, but I haven't gone native exactly. Become accepting of local ways maybe:)
10 of her nearly 18 years, yes

but her younger sister is much more 'English' - & she was only 4 when we moved here

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My son is 3 and 3/4 and moved here when he was 5 months old. Picking up quite a of of Spanish now at school and picking up some interesting habits too...

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
I'd have no objections to being considered Spanish, but I think that is unlikely except by another foreigner
A couple of years ago, we were sat outside at one of the bars in the park (we had visitors) and I happened to say something in English to one of the visitors who spoke no Spanish (the rest spoke Spanish) and somebody on the next table leant across and said with delight at the thought of finding another Brit "Are you English?" I felt like saying "Mais Non, Je suis Français" but realising I would get a sharp kick under the table...

·
Registered
19,386 Posts
I've been thinking about that - she was very close to her dad - who was VERY English - maybe that's it
Maybe, and maybe it'll come out even more now that her Dad's not there...

One thing that I've recently noticed is my intolerance for the British use of sorry and thank you, as someone posted in reply to a post of mine yesterday, when they are anything but sorry and are not thanking you at all. You know like, "I'm sorry to tell you that you have no idea what you are talking about" or "I'll reply to any post I like, Thank You" - infuriating! Not so much "going native" as "rejection of roots"

·
Administrator
36,511 Posts
Maybe, and maybe it'll come out even more now that her Dad's not there...

One thing that I've recently noticed is my intolerance for the British use of sorry and thank you, as someone posted in reply to a post of mine yesterday, when they are anything but sorry and are not thanking you at all. You know like, "I'm sorry to tell you that you have no idea what you are talking about" or "I'll reply to any post I like, Thank You" - infuriating! Not so much "going native" as "rejection of roots"
I'm the same

you so often hear sorry, please & thank-you & it's just not sincere

a bit like 'have a nice day' - in the shops in the US - they don't necessarily mean it - they're trained to say it

my younger daughter does have some very Spanish habits & attitudes - many more than English ones - but you can tell she's not Spanish (as opposed to definitively English) way more than you can her sister - even though she's dyed her lovely blonde hair dark :eek:

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
another one is you start arguing with Spaniards for their lack of knowledge about their own history because it suits their ideological leanings to forget that which they choose not to remember.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts