Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading across many Spanish forums its sad that there oft seems to be relish in the endless doom and gloom many posters put across

Yes, don't go there if you need to work and yes rent before you buy and make sure you stay 180 days in your car before you take health insurance and 90 days before you pay tax on your imported pets or whatever- BUT ffs reading some posts its sounds more like Aleppo than Andalucia

Chill, enjoy the best of new experiences, foods, people, places,culture, sun and sand. You're a long time dead

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Reading across many Spanish forums its sad that there oft seems to be relish in the endless doom and gloom many posters put across

Yes, don't go there if you need to work and yes rent before you buy and make sure you stay 180 days in your car before you take health insurance and 90 days before you pay tax on your imported pets or whatever- BUT ffs reading some posts its sounds more like Aleppo than Andalucia

Chill, enjoy the best of new experiences, foods, people, places,culture, sun and sand. You're a long time dead
While I do agree with you to a point, it's very much an issue of trying to put realism into peoples dreams. So many people still believe that they can arrive in spain, forget taxes and healthcare, get a job, get a villa, send their kids seamlessly to a school up the road and live the dream. It may have been like that once, but spain isn't that easy anymore. So we're simply pointing put the potential pitfalls.

Apart from that - yes, go for it!!!

Jo xxx

Sent from my D5803 using Expat Forum

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah but that's nothing to do with Spain specifically

You cannot expect what you list off ANY country.

Yes there are people with their head in the clouds- no matter what you tell them wont matter anyway- but as regards Spain itself if you keep to the basics of dont need to work/ rent first- it's nowhere near as depressing a place as some enjoy making up

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Doom and gloom

I rarely look at other forums but with this one it would be very mean spirited to 'relish' doom and gloom, which this one doesn't do.
Since there is a steady stream of newbies asking for help then I think it is great that some posters are willing to answer the same old questions.
While Spain is only two hours away from the UK, for many people it is a big step, especially when some would sell up and flop onto a Spanish beach without a bit of thought beforehand. Or invest in a house which turns out to be in the sticks with one bus in and out and a hospital many miles away. Or the people who will just 'pick up' the lingo once they are here. Well and good luck with that.
A bit of caution is not a bad thing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I don't think people intend to be negative, but you're far more likely to have a successful move if you're aware of the pitfalls beforehand. I'm speaking from experience. I was encouraged to move by someone who got me an apartment and told me everything would be fine if I just came. It wasn't. If I'd prepared better, I'd still be in Spain. As it is, I'll probably have to wait until I retire to move back as I'm unlikely to get work at my age. Realistic advice is necessary for anyone thinking of moving to Spain or any other country.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
With all due respect- got you an apartment, everything will be just fine!!!!

If that's the sort of diligence you extend to a move abroad its hard to have empathy let alone sympathy if it didn't work out

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
I'm no fan of excessive negativity or knocking Spain and the Spanish at every opportunity - it's a great place to live IF you don't need to find work. However, it's not utopia and nowhere on earth is perfect. There are things which are annoying in Spain (the present fiasco re providing ID to banks being a prime example) and others which are plain wrong (corruption in politics and business, and the situation regarding illegal houses which was allowed to develop) and I think we are quite right to criticise them.

With all due respect (to coin a phrase) you don't live here, or even want to chance get your fingers burned by buyinig a property hre if you eventually do take the plunge and more here for however many days a year it may be. Perhaps if you'd spent several years living here ful time you might be more ready to see the total picture, warts and all.

Try having a young father of three knock on your door, totally embarrassed and with tears in his eyes, asking if you can help him out as they have no food for the children and he only has €3 and needs another €3. It happened to us just a couple of days ago, and its a stark reminder of just how hard life is for many people here who aren't as fortunate as we are.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Yip its a hell hole No one should live there etc etc

There are no poor people, pointless bureaucracy etc in any other countries. Get real

As regards my own situ I am entirely consistent . I agree with the rent/no work needed approach but am not into either overly pessimistic rants nor self important lecturing.

Its a beautiful place which requires the same due diligence as anywhere else. Period

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes, I got advice from the wrong person who didn't explain things to me. He and his wife offered to help me with work and other aspects of the move. None of these materialised when I got there. I accept that I got help from the wrong people which is why I joined this forum. The advice is good if you want to take it. It's your choice.

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
Yip its a hell hole No one should live there etc etc

There are no poor people, pointless bureaucracy etc in any other countries. Get real

As regards my own situ I am entirely consistent . I agree with the rent/no work needed approach but am not into either overly pessimistic rants nor self important lecturing.

Its a beautiful place which requires the same due diligence as anywhere else. Period
I do live here, and I like living here. I even bought a house to live in, and if I wanted to move I'd buy again.

The point is, if people think they'll escape all or some of the things they don't like about their own country by coming to Spain, they may be in for a rude awakening if nobody has told them that they may encounter the same things, or worse, when they get here.

A typical pair of clueless expats (who think they have it all sussed) arrived here a few months ago. Below retirement age, no particular in-demand skills to speak of, but confident of being able to find work because they're "willing to turn their hand to anything". So far she's done some work for fellow expat busiiness owners who failed to pay her, they've had a fellow expat try to borrow money from them, she's on lifetime medication and is convinced she can get them free in Spain (good luck with that one) and appear to be spending a large part of their time lunching out and joining in expat drinking sessions. I give them until Christmas before the penny drops.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fair points and fair warning but again the type of people who would just turn up no work, no lingo etc - expecting to get everything on a plate wont listen to advice anyway, plus they will be lost in any country on the planet- not just Spain

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
With all due respect- got you an apartment, everything will be just fine!!!!

If that's the sort of diligence you extend to a move abroad its hard to have empathy let alone sympathy if it didn't work out
But thats the point. Back here in the UK, people still think that Spain, in particular is easy. Even now, when I tell people here in the UK, we lived there for 5 years, but had to return, they nearly always say "why did you come back, its so lovely in Spain, all that sun and relaxed attitude" When I explain how things really are in Spain, I'm sure they think I'm lying lol.

For whatever reason, many people really do believe that moving to Spain is the easy option. Just pick up sticks and go..... done! Unlike any other country.

At least if we can get those people thinking and maybe questioning..........BEFORE they burn their bridges.

Jo xxx

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
A typical pair of clueless expats (who think they have it all sussed) arrived here a few months ago. Below retirement age, no particular in-demand skills to speak of, but confident of being able to find work because they're "willing to turn their hand to anything". So far she's done some work for fellow expat busiiness owners who failed to pay her, they've had a fellow expat try to borrow money from them, she's on lifetime medication and is convinced she can get them free in Spain (good luck with that one) and appear to be spending a large part of their time lunching out and joining in expat drinking sessions. I give them until Christmas before the penny drops.
Although the unemployment rate in france is not so bad as spain and after 5 years of residency there is the welfare safety net if you are willing to really fight them to get anywhere people will still go there as described above, I know of a couple of expat couples like that and one half of one couple is already commuting back and forth instead of 'living the dream' because they can't afford to live here full time on fresh air.

Reactions: Lynn R

·
Registered
430 Posts

Yes rabbit loads of negative stuff

I prefer to live for the day !! as you say your a long time dead .

Some times I feel people sit on the fence , and only dream of making the move

My attitude when coming over was , just go for it , whats the worst that can happen ?

you could loose some money , not like it here I suppose

At least if you try you will know for sure one way or another if its for you or not !!

12 YEARS here and still happy !!:)

Tony Agost Alicante

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Rabbitcat and tonymar, I agree with both of you but to be fair I have found that mostly the only negative responses seem to be directed towards people that just want to up sticks and come here on a whim that just don't have a clue. That is just not feasible, not in any country and certainly not in one that has over 25% of the working age population unemployed and without a welfare system (not even for it's own indigenous people let alone immigrants) that the UK has. Yes by all means come over and see how you like it but NOT if you have very little or no money to support yourself, a spouse or partner and/or a troop of kids and you need to find work or you want to run a bar/start a construction/building/plumbing/electrician or any other kind of business. If that's how you're thinking you're going to make your dreams come true then you're living in cloud cuckoo land.

·
Registered
15,745 Posts

I think those doom-and-gloom posts are mainly from people who retired to the Costas expecting life to be one long holiday, and either ran out of funds or lack the imagination to get off their a*ses and find something interesting to occupy themselves with.

When they spend a lot of time with others in the same boat, whether in the bar or online, the negativity carries on on spiralling downwards until it almost becomes a contest for who has the most to moan about.

Thank goodness for all us positive upbeat folks here on the EF! :lol:

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Yes rabbit loads of negative stuff

I prefer to live for the day !! as you say your a long time dead .

Some times I feel people sit on the fence , and only dream of making the move

My attitude when coming over was , just go for it , whats the worst that can happen ?

you could loose some money , not like it here I suppose

At least if you try you will know for sure one way or another if its for you or not !!

12 YEARS here and still happy !!:)

Tony Agost Alicante

So someone sells their UK home, or gives up their tenancy, they give up their UK job. Pack up a few belongings, take their kids out of their school and move to Spain - that in itself is very costly. They take on a long term rental, put the kids in school and then realise - they've got no healthcare and no income, so they cant become "residents". They look for work...... they cant find any, they become ill and have no healthcare, meanwhile they still have to pay rent and bills - all of this costs money. In the end, they return to the UK.................oooops, no home, no job, no money cos they blew it all in Spain..............

I have seen this happen many times.

Jo xxx

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If they act in the manner you set out- with no due diligence, checking healthcare, school situ, finances etc before leaving and moving abroad to ANY country- they shouldn't be allowed out alone let alone be in a position to emigrate

Why does no one want to take responsibility for their own actions anymore

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
If they act in the manner you set out- with no due diligence, checking healthcare, school situ, finances etc before leaving and moving abroad to ANY country- they shouldn't be allowed out alone let alone be in a position to emigrate

Why does no one want to take responsibility for their own actions anymore
A couple of decades ago, it used to be like this. I also know folk who did it way back in the 80s, they set up businesses and thrived. I guess it was because in those days, Spain was "up and coming" a new holiday destination. Having just a come out of the Franco years, there was lots to be done and they needed the Brits to come and populate and help out???!!

Thats the problem as I see it. It is still thought of as easy to do. Go to Spain, get a little job and live happily everafter. I think its possibly the only place that has the reputation for being able to do this - and thats the problem, things have changed.

Jo xxx

1 - 20 of 134 Posts