Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon!

I'm going to France in July and I am staying there for 1 year (3 months of French classes in Lyon and 9 months of post-grad course in Fontainebleau). People at the embassy here in Brazil told me I will have to apply for a Titre de Séjour Étudiant, which includes a medical examination.

I have searched for a thread about this and didn't find anything that could clearly answer my questions, which are the following:

1) Has anyone ever failed the madical examination at OFII? I am really overweight (300lbs being 6'2'' tall) and have High Blood Pressure (which is controlled with medication). Will they fail me and send me back home?

2) Since I am only staying for 3 months in Lyon and then I am heading to Fontainebleau (next to Paris), where should I apply for the Titre de Séjour? I'm affraid that they might scheadule my appointment with OFII Lyon when I am already staying in Fontainebleau. What should I do?

Sorry about any English mistakes as I am not a native speaker.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Good afternoon!

I'm going to France in July and I am staying there for 1 year (3 months of French classes in Lyon and 9 months of post-grad course in Fontainebleau). People at the embassy here in Brazil told me I will have to apply for a Titre de Séjour Étudiant, which includes a medical examination.

I have searched for a thread about this and didn't find anything that could clearly answer my questions, which are the following:

1) Has anyone ever failed the madical examination at OFII? I am really overweight (300lbs being 6'2'' tall) and have High Blood Pressure (which is controlled with medication). Will they fail me and send me back home?

2) Since I am only staying for 3 months in Lyon and then I am heading to Fontainebleau (next to Paris), where should I apply for the Titre de Séjour? I'm affraid that they might scheadule my appointment with OFII Lyon when I am already staying in Fontainebleau. What should I do?

Sorry about any English mistakes as I am not a native speaker.
The main concern the OFII has is that you aren't bringing a communicable disease with you. If you have tuberculosis, for example, you might have a problem, otherwise, don't sweat it as it really isn't much of a medical exam.

Cheers

·
Administrator
49,164 Posts
The medical exam is what I call a "pee in a cup" exam. They basically check that you're not carrying tuberculosis, and then ask you for a history of your immunizations - though you can pretty much give them those from memory. They really don't bother with stuff like obesity and blood pressure (in fact they don't even take your blood pressure at the exam).

You need to send in your OFII documents within a certain time period. In your circumstances, I would send in the paper immediately on your arrival. If you don't have an appointment by the time you move on to Fontainebleau, you can either contact the OFII to advise them of your change of address - or make sure your mail is forwarded to you in Fontainebleau and catch the TGV back to Lyon to make your OFII appointment when it is scheduled (and advise them at that time of your change in location).
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
254 Posts
Thank you all for the answers! All send all the papers to OFII as soon as I get there then.
One word of caution.... when we (wife and I) took our exams, we were required to pay a "tax" fee or whatever you want to call it... for a large sum of money. I believe we had to pay something in the area of $700 for the both of us and they do not give you much notice. I believe we were sent a letter about one week in advance. So, make sure you take this into account for your budget. Good luck.

·
Administrator
49,164 Posts
One word of caution.... when we (wife and I) took our exams, we were required to pay a "tax" fee or whatever you want to call it... for a large sum of money. I believe we had to pay something in the area of $700 for the both of us and they do not give you much notice. I believe we were sent a letter about one week in advance. So, make sure you take this into account for your budget. Good luck.
The OFII website used to list the prices for this visit - and I believe they were $350 per "normal" adult visa, with reduced rates for a student visa. They have been changing their website recently so I'm not sure if the information is still there - still, it pays to check their website (the French section has far more information than the English section) OFII - Office Français de l’Immigration et de l’Intégration
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.