Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have Tom Tom Middle East?

I have seen it as a downloadable app on iPad for 360 AED, for the price it seems like a bargain as the Garmin hardware/software available in the electrical retailers is garbage and overpriced - especially as there are no updates included in the price - for Garmin the map updates are more expensive than many of their devices!

Anyone have any experience of the Tom Tom app? Any good/bad reviews?

·
Registered
127 Posts
The same problem exists though - How do you enter an address? It's not like the UK where you just enter a postcode and go, you need to pinpoint where you're going on a map with no streetnames, no house numbers and a chaotic street layout.

As you can probably tell I'm not a great fan of satnav in Dubai, never found one that works well. But I was impressed by the iPhone Google Maps app the other week. Does turn by turn voice directions and didn't send me down any non-existant roads. Alas not available for iPad.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I've used TomTom NZ app and while it's nice to have a map without needing to access the net, when searching for a place you have to go through an annoying list such as city, suburb, etc... Not sure how it works on the Middle East version but considering TomTom don't even sell standalone GPS units here, they may not be as quick to update.

I reckon you stick to Apple Maps and get lost all the time or Google Maps. The nice thing about Google Maps on Android is that you can save the map area to your phone (such as all/most of Dubai) and don't need the net unless you're searching for a place.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
I have a Chinese made GPS bought from Dragon Mart. *touchwood* it has been working well for me for the last 4 years, and with some research on the internet I have even managed to update the map. Not too bad I would say for a 200 Dhs piece of equipment.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I have a Chinese made GPS bought from Dragon Mart. *touchwood* it has been working well for me for the last 4 years, and with some research on the internet I have even managed to update the map. Not too bad I would say for a 200 Dhs piece of equipment.
How have you been able to update your maps? I have been searching for some updates for mine and cannot find. I have been happy with my Dragon mart GPS, most POI I am able to look up and in general directions are correct. For the price well worth it

·
Registered
400 Posts
I use Tom Tom and have it n my iPad and iPhone. (And only paid once so I like that feature as I always have my phone on me.)

My iPad isn't always convenient to watch u less I have someone to hold it for me, but it has helped me out of a few holes.

Older streets in Dubai are okay to find, places like al manara, etc, or I just go for a landmark. Most useful was being able to plug in my house so oif nothing else I could always can home!!!

Same problems arise when there are three lanes,exits and flyovers, it gets confused As to where we should be, but as a back up it has been great. I have learnt to use it conjunction with signage and not solely rely on it, if that makes sense!

L

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
How have you been able to update your maps? I have been searching for some updates for mine and cannot find. I have been happy with my Dragon mart GPS, most POI I am able to look up and in general directions are correct. For the price well worth it
searched with filename and the bunch of name that pops up when the GPS starts (I think mine said Naviextra). Ended up on a forum with all these files.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have the TomTom app. It works ok, indeed finding the right place to key in is an issue. Usually I try to find the place first on Google maps and then in the app just by searching the map and then adding the location as a favorite.
Some roads in downtown/business bay are still missing.
Also tried it to go to Abud Dhabi a few times and once to Fujairah, worked fine.
In my opinion it is worth the investment.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have the TomTom app. It works ok, indeed finding the right place to key in is an issue. Usually I try to find the place first on Google maps and then in the app just by searching the map and then adding the location as a favorite.
Some roads in downtown/business bay are still missing.
Also tried it to go to Abud Dhabi a few times and once to Fujairah, worked fine.
In my opinion it is worth the investment.
I agree with everything you said!

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
The best SatNav I have used here is the one that I currently have on my Nokia Lumina. Seriously

Reactions: Jynxgirl

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
FWIW, we have 3 Garmins for the cars, and they always take us directly where we want to go. Even street addresses.

My wife is hopeless with maps and drawn directions, but 110% in love with her Garmin GPS.

·
Registered
223 Posts
ccr said:
FWIW, we have 3 Garmins for the cars, and they always take us directly where we want to go. Even street addresses.

My wife is hopeless with maps and drawn directions, but 110% in love with her Garmin GPS.
Where's the best place to by a sat nav in Dubai and what do they cost, for one that does the job

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPad using ExpatForum...Have a great day ... Zee :)

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Where's the best place to by a sat nav in Dubai and what do they cost, for one that does the job
GPS are sold everywhere: mall, electronic store, grocery stores, etc.

Cost ? depend on brands / models, etc. similar prices to the US

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Thanks so 100 usd should get me a decent one I'm from UK coming out in two weeks
Depending on your definition of "decent", yes you could get a working GPS unit for ~100 USD including MEA maps.

Decent for me costs a little more... "You buy cheap = you buy twice" ;)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Depending on your definition of "decent", yes you could get a working GPS unit for ~100 USD including MEA maps.

Decent for me costs a little more... "You buy cheap = you buy twice" ;)
I know what you mean thanks for your advice I will look for better than decent ..

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.