Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I was wondering if someone living in Toluca (or being there often) could help me with a simple but slightly unusual request. There is a monument of Cuauhtémoc located at ‘Parque Cuauhtémoc o Alameda’. I need distinct photographs of this monument, in particular the face (from different sides, ideally from a straight angle (i.e. not just from underneath which is the usual perspective since the monument is quite high). I guess this is only possible if you make a more or less straight-angle shot is with a good zoom and from some distance. But actually the more shots from different angles, the better.

To explain my unusual request – I’m making a miniature sculpture of Cuauhtémoc and wanted to use this monument as a reference (don’t ask why on earth I chose probably the least known monument of him!). This is not a commercial project of any kind – I’m doing this for my own pleasure as I’m very much into ancient Mexico’s history and sculpturing, and always dreamed of having a my-taste miniature of Cuauhtémoc.

Before I landed here at this forum I’ve already tried various other methods of googling and finding people who could help, but I have not been successful, perhaps because the local people don’t understand English well and I don’t speak Spanish. So really this forum is probably my last hope… I’m quite crushed by the fact that out of 800+ k inhabitants of the city of Toluca there is not a single person who can help (or, better said – I don’t know how to reach them)...

So I would be really grateful if someone could help me in the near future because the work is already in process (I’m being helped by an experienced sculptor but she has limited time so we need to get it done as soon as possible).

I am very much looking forward to responses! Your help will be much appreciated and it will make me really-really happy!! And I will show you images of the finished work, if of any interest, as a bonus :)))

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
*sigh* and I thought that writing about the fact that I've already searched all over google, flickr, instagram and foursquare was not necessary.... :rolleyes: these are lovely photos but a) too distant/small and b) wrong angle... they do not help... but nice try ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your continuous effort to convince me, that I do not know how to google. Trust me - I know :) the last link doesn't even point to the right monument - this one's in Mexico city, not Toluca... although I have to admit there are more photos of this monument. But this is not the one I've chosen, so... I'm still looking for someone in Toluca...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been to the official website, of course, but the images are too tiny and of poor quality, I'm afraid :( well, I was thinking of contacting the authorities or maybe someone from the museum nearby :) I guess I'll have to do it if nobody shows up here...

·
Super Moderator
9,013 Posts
I have been to the official website, of course, but the images are too tiny and of poor quality, I'm afraid :( well, I was thinking of contacting the authorities or maybe someone from the museum nearby :) I guess I'll have to do it if nobody shows up here...
Milissa, you're asking a lot of us, and of the authorities in Toluca. If you want high quality photos of this statue, you're going to have to come to Toluca to take them yourself! Don't count on getting answers to any emails you may send to the authorities in Toluca, especially if you write them in English. As far as phone calls are concerned, I hope your Spanish and your patience will be up to it. ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Milissa, you're asking a lot of us, and of the authorities in Toluca. If you want high quality photos of this statue, you're going to have to come to Toluca to take them yourself! Don't count on getting answers to any emails you may send to the authorities in Toluca, especially if you write them in English. As far as phone calls are concerned, I hope your Spanish and your patience will be up to it. ;)
Thank you for your advice :) Actually I'm not asking anything from you personally! or anyone else who's not in Toluca... so maybe we could just wait until someone from Toluca sees this?
I really don't understand why you guys are trying to google for me after I've already explained that google does not have what I need... I mean, I really appreciate it, but I don't want you to waste your time and seem an ungrateful person :)
And I also wouldn't agree that in the 21st century, with all the modern technologies, unlimited internet and super cameras, in order to get photographs of some object, I specifically need to go and do them myself :) I mean, if I saw a similar request about my city, I wouldn't mind just grabbing my camera and making those shots. Would you? So I really hope this person comes along :)
And yeah, the thing about authorities is more of a bad humour based on slight despair... but, on the other hand... haha :)

·
Super Moderator
9,013 Posts
I don't think we have any forum members at the moment who live in Toluca. It's not really an attractive place to live, so unless someone has been offered a job there, it's not a place where most expats would choose as their new home in Mexico.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't think we have any forum members at the moment who live in Toluca. It's not really an attractive place to live, so unless someone has been offered a job there, it's not a place where most expats would choose as their new home in Mexico.
I see... well that makes sence... tough luck then :(

·
Super Moderator
9,013 Posts
Well, I saw old threads where people were discussing Toluca so I thought maybe someone is there or at least nearby + occasionally going there...
There is a famous Saturday craft market in Toluca that draws tons of tourists every week, but otherwise there isn't much to attract outsiders. How old are the threads you saw?

If you have any friends in Moscow who are artists or museum curators, maybe they know someone who knows someone who is connected with the museum of modern art in Toluca: Instituto Mexiquense de Cultura - GEM. In Mexico, as in most parts of the world, connections are the way to go to get what you want! Good luck!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts