Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I will be moving to Bayonne with my French husband and 15 month old son in a few months.
My French is not great, but obviously I want to learn as fast as possible and make new friends.
My question is are there many toddler playgroups going on and do these tend to be expensive?
At the moment my son is at nursery 3 days a week and also does swimming and two baby play sessions with me, so we are quite busy.
I don't want to end up stuck in our new rented property with no idea where to go and what to do with him 5 days a week.
Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Joost, I mean anywhere I can go and mix with other mum's and toddlers.
For example, here we go to 'Stay and Play', which is run by the council and is a large room in the community centre filled with toys. We also do 'Jiggy Wigglers', where the mum's sit and watch, while the leader gets the kids dancing, plays with puppets, bubbles etc etc.
There is Maracca Jacks, where all the kids have instraments and everyone sings songs.
Rhyme Time, which is an hour of singing nursery rhymes followed by free play with toys.
Some of these session s cost a few pounds each and some are free, but they are great for giving the little ones some space to run around and do something different outside there homes, where the mums know they will be safe and entertained.
They are also great places to meet your friends or meet other mums.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Movingmum, I have not found out anything yet. Our move will now be in June and I still haven't sorted a house to rent, so don't know exactly which town or village we will be in.
When we know exactly where we'll be I will make some more enquiries, but I guess word of mouth when we arrive will be the most effective way to find play groups when we arrive. (I can picture me approaching random French mum's and babies and asking them in my broken French if they go to any playgroup!)
How old are your children? Perhaps we can start with a playdate together when we are both there and unpacked?
Do you know which town you will be nearest / in yet?

·
Registered
8 Posts
hi, my kids are 3,5, and 4 months. we will hopefully be there by mid june,depending on house. we will most likely be in anglet. pm me your email and we can def meet up, my kids will be very bored!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey there. I would also be interested in getting together. Im moving to Bayonne in June with my 4 month old boy and we do not know a soul in the area. Would be nice to mingle:) Im a young stay at home mom at the mom, at the moment, married to a French guy and we are currently living in Paris. Can't wait to get down there. Let me know if you want to meet up once we are there.
Courtney

·
Registered
8 Posts
that would be great Courtney, ok so far we have a group of 3! Where in Bayonne are you moving too? My Dh is going next week to look for a place to live.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We will be looking for an apartment in the center or a house within walking distance to the center to rent. My husband is also going soon to look for a place. Neither of us know the area but it seems like a great place to be.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Courtney, Looks like we'll be moving in June or July now. Still not sure exactly where. Let's keep in touch, so we can all go exploring together.
How long have you been in France? Are you fluent?
My husband is also French, but we've always lived in the UK and after years and years of French lessons, I still can't say much. :-s
I'll send you a private message.
Jo
x

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Movingmum,
Sorry not replied to your email yet. It's on my todo list. :-s
Hope your husband has fun house hunting.
We're still in limbo land as my husband's work are messing him about over a moving date.
We're using a relocation service purely because his firm will pay for it.
I'm hoping it will take all the hassle out, but we will see.
Once we get a date, the agent will note down what we're looking for, then set up a series of viewings over a couple of days and hopefully we'll find one we like.
That's the theory anyway.
Originally we liked the idea of being in the countryside, or a small village, but have now decided that would be too isolated, so are going to try and get something somewhere along the coast.
There are a couple of English speaking ladies where my husband is going to work who have offered to advise on any areas we are considering and also give me the low down on nurseries.
I'll share any useful info I get.
Jo
x

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Courtney, I can't send you a private message until you've made a few more posts, but then we will be able to swap emails. Are you on FB?

·
Registered
5 Posts
play groups?

Hey girls. We have finally settled into our new life here in Bayonne, in the quartier des arenes. Sadly my 7 month old sees no other kids or babies yet. Would you all like to plan a play group at some point? Let me know:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
hey thanks! for some reason im not getting anything on fbook, but i also have a lot of privacy settings activated. Can you send me a private message?
A bientot

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi,

I know some English women who go to a place, a kind of playgroup : " Le traint d'Union".
Annuaire social :: Atherbea

But they explained me that it's really not like in UK because it's only 2 days per week and only 2 or 3 hours per day.
The other solution in France is " la crèche": there are "public crèche" and "private crèche" : for the public ones, you must go the the Town Hall of the city where you live to ask for a place and usually you have to wait 9months for a place. For the privates ones, it's easier to find a place for your baby but it's a little bit expensive ( For a French person but not for a foreign person) .
I'm a teacher of French as a Foreign Language and I have done a list of the different " crèches" in Biarritz / Bayonne / Anglet for my former students so if you want, I can send you it by email.
Estelle

·
Registered
2 Posts
in bayonne

Hi girls.
Me and my french husband moved to Bayonne few months ago. Before We lived in England .
I will be more then happy meet another girls to join the playgroups with the kids etc.
I have two boys, one is 5 and other one is 2,5 years old.
We are very lonely over here so it will be great meet other mothers with the kids.
I don't know much about this place yet, but all i know i will be more then happy to help.

<snip>

Monika :)))

·
Registered
2 Posts
playgroup in bayonne

Hi.
I live in Bayonne and i will be more then happy to join the group with my 2.5 years old boy.
We moved from England view months ego.
I'm also looking for any Playgroups here, but at the moment we didn't found anything.
France is a great and beautiful place but with out speaking french you feel very lonely and not very accept by other french people.

Monika :)))
<snip>

·
Administrator
49,394 Posts
Please don't post personal e-mail addresses here on the forum message boards. You never know who's out there lurking and the consequences can be highly unpleasant.

Once you have posted 5 legit messages, you'll be able to use the private messaging system here - and that's the way to send someone your personal contact data. Until then, mix and mingle with the other members here to get to know the forum.

Playgroups aren't terribly common in most parts of France, as most French mums use the local creche or halte garderie. You may be able to find an English speaking playgroup through newcomers associations or groups like Message (based in Paris, but with members throughout France).
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.