Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear forumers,

We have just been granted a skilled visa for Australia. We are planning on making our first entry with the kids (2 1/2 years and 5 months) this September. We will be staying with our family friends and moving around with them.

My question is since there are very strict rules on baby and toddler car seat requirements,

1. Should I bring my own car seat (which means I have to carry 2 car seats on board) and is it recognised under the Australian safety standards??

2. Are there alternatives like car seat rental available at the airport or elsewhere?

Since we are only visiting for 4 days I find this a hassle to carry such a load with me.

Please advise.

vediaj

·
Registered
218 Posts
Also from memory, a lot of the cars in Australia do not have the isofix connectors like many European cars have, so that could e a potential compatabilty issue?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. But since its just a short visit I thought renting might be an alternative.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi vediaj,

since you are staying with friends you could ask them to ask around. Surely, somebody they know should have two unused car seats lying around in the attic. If you rent a car you can usually also add baby seats as extras.

All the best,
Monika

·
Registered
124 Posts
Dear forumers,

We have just been granted a skilled visa for Australia. We are planning on making our first entry with the kids (2 1/2 years and 5 months) this September. We will be staying with our family friends and moving around with them.

My question is since there are very strict rules on baby and toddler car seat requirements,

1. Should I bring my own car seat (which means I have to carry 2 car seats on board) and is it recognised under the Australian safety standards??

2. Are there alternatives like car seat rental available at the airport or elsewhere?

Since we are only visiting for 4 days I find this a hassle to carry such a load with me.

Please advise.

vediaj

As you are coming for short term you will be using taxi service. For taxi, toddler seat is not required for kids above 2 years, but for private car it is required.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts