Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've scoured the forum regarding this concern, but I'm coming up with a lot of mixed reviews. I took a passport photo for my UK fiance visa at Walgreens and it was given to me in the US size standard of 2 inches by 2 inches.

Many of you have reported no rejections and success with providing the bigger US size standard versus the UK size standard of 45 mm high by 35 mm wide. I was planning on just sending the 2 inches by 2 inches version, but have suddenly become paranoid with fear that my application will be delayed or even rejected. :eek:

I have considered trimming the photo down perfectly to the UK size standard, but am afraid this will be a red flag to the ECO in Sheffield. Any comments, suggestions, or personal experiences that could clear things up for me would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Joppa! :D

Has anyone else had any personal experiences of a US size passport photo being rejected?

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
I have never heard any accounts of a rejection based on passport photos... Have heard many testimonials of people being accepted even with US-sized passport photos, though. The reason they dont want you to trim the photo is because it changes the proportions. Don't take my word for it of course! :)

Reactions: texasbrit

·
Registered
39,068 Posts
They can always ask you to send one in proper size, but this is rare. The only time is if the photo isn't up to specifications, like when done on a home printer.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'm not a visa expert by any means, but when I applied for our visa, I emailed UKVA and they replied to me that it didn't really matter if they were US size because they are resized with software anyway. I just had a quick look and cannot find the original email, but if I can I will post the exact wording. If you are concerned about anything like that, definitely email them. In my experience, they were helpful in each instance.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Found it:

"Thank you for your email.

I can confirm that it really does not matter either way. We scan the photos once received and we “cut” them electronically with the scanning software.

Kind regards,

J Colton
Entry Clearance Assistant
UK Visas & Immigration"

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to everyone for their replies. They all put me at ease. I definitely will not trim! The email you shared is much appreciated, grasshopper33.

Cheers!:wave:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.