Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been in France for 1 year and i have to get my Carte de Sejour renewed, i need a copy of my birth certificate, i was born in CA and i want to know if i have to have it translated into french for the prefecture or can i leave it in English.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have been in France for 1 year and i have to get my Carte de Sejour renewed, i need a copy of my birth certificate, i was born in CA and i want to know if i have to have it translated into french for the prefecture or can i leave it in English.
You absolutely need it translated, and by a special translator (traducteur assermenté) to boot. This is the directory I used--I just filled out the form on the main page and someone got back to me within 24 hours.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought someone would say i have to have it translated, more problems. Thanks for your reply any idea of the cost to have this done, and thanks again.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I thought someone would say i have to have it translated, more problems. Thanks for your reply any idea of the cost to have this done, and thanks again.
Well...France isn't an English-speaking country. It makes sense that they would want an important document like a birth certificate translated.

Mine cost more than usual (90€) because it came with an apostille, but just for a standard birth certificate, it'll probably be around 60€.

·
Administrator
49,785 Posts
Certified translators allegedly are not only translating the document but are authorized to authenticate it, too. (OK, basically they just say that, hey, this looks like a real document from wherever.) They usually charge by the page - and a birth certificate is usually consider a whole page.

Ask around, but I've seen traducteurs assermenté charge anything from 35 to 60€ a page. Try the Pages Jaunes (yellow pages) - there are several large traducteurs assermentés that will do things pretty quickly via e-mail and post. You send them a scan of the document, then mail them the actual document so they can review it. They send you the certified translation and return the original document within a few days.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
737 Posts
I tried the photocopy of the english birth certificate
after a bit , it came back saying we can't read the writing
sent a copy printed out from the computer

accepted

·
Registered
344 Posts
In France, ALWAYS translate foreign documents. Even if you think it isn't necessary (unfortunately). Make sure your birth certificate is no older than 3 months (unless you talked to someone who said the date doesn't matter, which would be a miracle in itself lol).

Cunégonde did you need an apostle translated? If yes, that is so strange because they are supposed to be accepted as is. I just had three done and never translated any but they did accompany original translated documents and was told it was perfect.

·
Registered
480 Posts
In France, ALWAYS translate foreign documents. Even if you think it isn't necessary (unfortunately). Make sure your birth certificate is no older than 3 months (unless you talked to someone who said the date doesn't matter, which would be a miracle in itself lol).

Cunégonde did you need an apostle translated? If yes, that is so strange because they are supposed to be accepted as is. I just had three done and never translated any but they did accompany original translated documents and was told it was perfect.
I gave the translator both pages (the birth certificate and the apostille), and she translated both. I just wanted to cover all my bases. Good to know that it doesn't need to be translated, but the Asnières mairie is persnickety as all get out (the fonctionnaire took out his ruler to read my birth certificate and asked me to identify my last name and my mother's last name, even though it clearly said on the TRANSLATED document. Sigh. He also informed me that he thought that we "probably couldn't" read a text in English because "we don't know if you're insulting us or not,") so I figured that any English should be translated.

Also, I've seen that a lot of institutions now accept birth certificates within a 6 month rage for foreigners. (progress!) But defer to what your prefecture's list says, there are many that haven't gotten the memo.

·
Administrator
49,785 Posts
Technically speaking, the law was changed back around 2006 or so to state that they can't ask for a birth certificate within the last 3 (or 6) months unless it's involving something related to marriage. However it's amazing how many transactions are now considered to be related to marriage and/or your marital status.

Seriously, when I got my paperwork for my nationality from Nantes including my French birth certificate, they made a big deal about this "new law." Basically I think they were trying to tell me not to bother them for another copy unless I really, really needed it. But since then, most public offices still seem to insist on a "recent" copy. Ah, France!
Cheers,
Bev

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Certified translators allegedly are not only translating the document but are authorized to authenticate it, too. (OK, basically they just say that, hey, this looks like a real document from wherever.)
They do authenticate the document and are authorised by the Tribunal to do so - in my experience they mostly know precisely what it is they are authenticating. They normally have a Masters degree in the relevant foreign language (Bac+5) and are appointed by the Court.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I recently submitted my original birth certificate with no translation [ a LOT more than 3 months old !]; there was a problem

because the uk birth certificates back in the day were longer than A4 I didn't photocopy the two ends ...which didn't contain any writing
was asked to send two photocopies so that they had 100% of the document ...no problems after that

someone I know recently submitted a certificate of conformity in german , only to be told they had to get it from the french agent in french ; quite wrong of course as it is in an official EU language ; as so often had to go and argue before it was accepted

·
Administrator
49,785 Posts
Not sure if it is still the case, but when I needed certified translations, I was told that you not only had to get someone certified for the language, but also for the country the document came from. That's where the authentication process comes in.

However, lately, I haven't seen anyone amongst the assermenté crowd advertising that they do, for example, US documents as opposed to "just" British ones. So I'm not sure to what extent they authenticate things any more.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
someone I know recently submitted a certificate of conformity in german , only to be told they had to get it from the french agent in french ; quite wrong of course as it is in an official EU language ; as so often had to go and argue before it was accepted
Hardly surprising. I tend to take the view that we are in France and you can't expect that the fonctionnaire who is processing whatever will be able to understand another European language - and even if they do, they may move on to another position and their successor may not be able to understand it. I was told at the Tribunal d'Instance not to worry about getting my UK birth certificate translated, but when I went back with my completed dossier that person was no longer there and I did have to get a translation. Far easier to just get the translation and avoid the hassle of proving a point :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts