Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am UK based and considering a move to Dubai. My question arose after reading some of the posts in here and particularly one which mentioned one American user should consider the tax implications.

Am I beig completely naive in thinking that one does not pay income tax on ones earnings in Dubai?

Help please!

Thanks

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Hi All,

I am UK based and considering a move to Dubai. My question arose after reading some of the posts in here and particularly one which mentioned one American user should consider the tax implications.

Am I beig completely naive in thinking that one does not pay income tax on ones earnings in Dubai?

Help please!

Thanks
There is no income tax in Dubai (yet!), but that does not mean you are automatically free of UK tax. That depends on when you move and how long you remain here. Your non-resident status has a big bearing on this.

-

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is no income tax in Dubai (yet!), but that does not mean you are automatically free of UK tax. That depends on when you move and how long you remain here. Your non-resident status has a big bearing on this.

-
Thanks Elphaba,

Do you mean Non resident status in terms of HMRC and their rules?

Is there anywhere that I can find out more about this? Website etc.

Ta.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't yet, but considering various opportunities which will only come to fruition in 2010 (early part of).

So lets say for arguments sake I moved in April, What would the rules then be?

The reason I ask is that there is a thread on here regarding an 80K deductable limit and a housing limit of 20K afterwhich one pays 20 odd % tax.

Not sure what the deal is with this. Perhaps you can assist.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
I haven't yet, but considering various opportunities which will only come to fruition in 2010 (early part of).

So lets say for arguments sake I moved in April, What would the rules then be?

The reason I ask is that there is a thread on here regarding an 80K deductable limit and a housing limit of 20K afterwhich one pays 20 odd % tax.

Not sure what the deal is with this. Perhaps you can assist.

Thanks
That was for an American. Rules are different for Brits. If you spend no more than 90 per tax year in the UK, then income from the UAE will be tax free.

-

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats what I thought :)

Could I check that if your package includes a housing element and a schooling element etc etc. that these amounts are also tax free benefits?

Thanks again for your help E.

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Thats what I thought :)

Could I check that if your package includes a housing element and a schooling element etc etc. that these amounts are also tax free benefits?

Thanks again for your help E.
In UAE, yes. There is no personal income tax here. If however, you are liable to UK income tax, then these allowances would be treated as a benefit in kind and thus part of income.

You're welcome. It's part of what I do for a living. :)

-

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.