Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My husband has accepted a transfer to Los Angeles. Just waiting for the visa application to be processed, L1 visa - my understanding it takes up to 14 weeks but his company are paying for it to be fast tracked. Anyway, had estate agent up last night to look at putting our house on the market.

We are now undecided about furniture. On arrival in LA we will have furnished accomodation for 4-8 weeks. I am keen to ship furniture over - not all of it, but basics like our new sofa, new bedroom furniture, son's bedroom furniture and tv. My husband now thinks we should go with the basics, and leave the furniture to buy over there.

I've had a couple of quotes for shipping - cheapest £2000 most expensive £6000.

What did/would you do with furniture? I have a four year old son and I think it might help with the transition if we take some familiar items. My husband thinks the flat sizes might be too small and the furniture won't fit (size or style wise).

Thoughts welcomed,

Yvonne

·
Administrator
50,470 Posts
You're more likely to find the opposite: homes/houses in America are enormous. I read somewhere that IKEA had to redesign much of their merchandise because the European standards were too small for the Americans.

Personally, I think it's a good idea to bring some of your furniture with you. It really does help you to feel a bit more "at home" in a new place to have some familiar items with you. But don't bother bringing your son's tv. It won't work over there - due to both the electrical system and the broadcast system. In fact, it's not really worthwhile bringing any electrical equipment with you. You'll just need transformers to run it, and most electrical items are fairly cheap in the US.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Leave the TV and all other small appliances. By the time you deal with transformers and shipping you can buy new.
Are you familiar with the US concept of walk-in closets? US bed/mattress/sheet sizes are different. Curtain rods are different. IKEA is a favorite of all expats but there is better quality/style for not much more money to be had.
Style varies from area to area. Heavy upholstered furniture you see in New England are absolutely out of place in FL. We moved 16 or 18 times. I learned and pack necessities - art, music, books, antique rugs, favorite dishes and some "dustables" such as quilts, decorative items.
Shipping - you get what you pay for. Insurance is a must but getting paid can take a while. My sister's complete container was submerged in seawater and then it sat for a while. It took over six months to see some movement and over a year for a settlement. Everything from motorcycle equipment, original paintings, 100+ year old rugs, books - one solid, stinking mess. We had damages and problems getting paid. The best was a very fancy wine glass. The original register receipt hat a number next to the amount which caused the insurance to assume this was the number of glasses. An antique Belutsh was priced against some Sears real faux oriental rug. Move and learn:>) For 6k pounds you can furnish a two-bedroom nicely.

·
Banned
273 Posts
Most people are in love with their clunky, giant, shoe box shaped, no style furniture and all their over flowing little trinket nonsense.... Well, be the first one on your block to "break the curse".... Leave it all behind and pop over to the local Ikea first thing after arriving to remodel the new hang out from top to bottom all in one visit - they will happily deliver all your new stuff in one of their big, beautiful, IKEA trucks . That's how Zoom does it so most likely that's just how it was meant to be done..... besides, you'd hate to have anything clash, you can lose friends that way - no one likes to see "Clashing Colors" these days with all of this non specific, general when-will-it-end stress just hanging in the air. I'd skip Walnut and go with the Expresso wood stain and Lav/Olive Indonesian prints - don't forget to go all stainless appliances in the Kitchen - gas is also a must for true chefs....... (Zoom's decorating tips Part 1 - more to come)

·
Banned
273 Posts
...oh, oh, I feel a "clash" coming on..... (part 2 is now officially cancelled, no worries mate) BTW, this isn't about the gas stove comment is it? I mean, electric is basically fine, it's nothing personal, I was just sayin' for those that are really into the whole cooking thing, striving Sauciers and such.....

·
Registered
34 Posts
We moved to the UK from Canada in April 2008 and brought some furniture and all our personal stuff... We are now planning a move to Houston, TX in the next year and will not bring anything back, except for the photo albums, our 2 dogs and a few very sentimental items, 4 boxes max. I prefer to buy everything new and not have to deal with movers, etc...

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
We moved to the UK from Canada in April 2008 and brought some furniture and all our personal stuff... We are now planning a move to Houston, TX in the next year and will not bring anything back, except for the photo albums, our 2 dogs and a few very sentimental items, 4 boxes max. I prefer to buy everything new and not have to deal with movers, etc...
Yep. Once you've moved to a few countries, you quickly cure the clutter problem. Passport, AMEX, toothbrush and spare pair of underwear are all you need. Everything else is surplus.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts