Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello forum friends,
My UK husband and I are setting a goal of moving back to the States Spring 2018. We want to first pay off the couple of credit cards and car loan that we currently have and also begin to sock away as much money as we can between now and then, to live on as we get settled there.
Is there anyone here who's done this? In the process already or thinking of it themselves? Would you have any advise/suggestions/warnings to share with me? A checklist of things to have done before we actually make the move? We want to do it properly and with enough time to avoid extra stress and not miss important deadlines.
I should mention that we are renting here in the UK, so no house here to sell. We will have a condo to live in when we move (my parents own) and my husband and I have no children.
Many thanks in advance,
Sarah

·
Administrator
50,425 Posts
Probably the big thing to plan for is applying for your husband's visa at the right time, as the process does take a while. (Though by 2018, who knows?)

Make sure your US tax filings are up to date because I think that's part of the visa process. (Easier to just file them on time than to have to whip up the back filings all at one time.) Even if you don't technically need to file, it wouldn't hurt to send in the forms so you can meet that requirement hands down.

You may want to look into taking UK citizenship before you go, if you haven't already. In the event you decide to return to the UK some day, you'll avoid all the visa hassle and expense, and frankly it doesn't really add any complications to your life to have the "extra" nationality. (Unlike your husband taking US citizenship, which can complicate things a bit should you choose to move back to the UK.)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Banned
6,189 Posts
You can file USCIS Form I-130 (and related attachments) now and keep it "on ice" once USCIS forwards the file to the National Visa Center. To keep the file open you have to contact the NVC every year -- every 11 months would be safe. Having an approved I-130 on file allows you to avoid several months of waiting when you're ready to move.

Another common source of visa delays is not having the right vaccinations. Your spouse can get caught up now, if necessary, to avoid that particular delay.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts