me and wife are trying to decide weather or not to move down under I’m a carpenter with no work here in Ireland we cant decide don’t now if it’s the right think our not we have a mortgage here and wont be selling any time soon
why dont u have a look at the job portals (links at the top of the forum page in sticky threads). if you see many openings, u can decide if its for you, alternatively have a look at the state sites, weather, culture etc to figure out if AU is for you or not
As well as what Anj suggests take a look at visa options too. Some visas can take 12 months or more to get here while some are a lot quicker if your skills are in need.
Also think about what your financial situation would be like here. If you didn't sell you house how would you survive here? It would be horrible to move country, have financial worries and have no family or friends to support you.
I'm not trying to put you off - just point out that there are a lot of things to consider (which you probably know already!).
I know how you feel, we were like that before making up our mind. I feel as if we have read every book on australia and are regular buyers of the Australia nd New Zealand magazines.
What we did is once we found that my husbands skills were on the sol list we looked at salaries etc.
We then made up lists of positives and negatives about living here. The negatives far outweighed the positives so we felt that was enough to make our decision.
However I will say that none of us have ever been to Australia, but at the end of the day judging by the list we mae it cannot be any worse!!!!! At the end of the day no where is too far and if you do not like it you can always come back. Life is not a rehersal and we have to grab every opporunity as is appears.
We are attending a Migration Event at the weekend to get more info. I will let you know how it goes.
Good Luck I am sure there will be a lot of discussions, oh and Tears:Cry:
We have a mortgage too.
We have our house on the market and hasn't sold yet.
We want to be in Brisbane by next Easter and we need to sell until the end of the year to make sure we exchange and have time to bool flights, and shipping afterwards.
We simply don't want to have the responsibility of a mortgage here in the UK on top of all emigration stresses.
So we've just put the price down and will wait a few more weeks.
The house has been having viewings so I'm hoping someone will soon make THE OFFER (had a few horrible-are-you-kiding-let's-offer-less-20%-ones.).
We are taking our 3 kids and we're all very excited!!!
First you need to research and find out if Australia could be your cup of tea.:eyebrows:
thanks for all the replys
busyte what do you and your partner work im a carpenter ive been told there is still work there what do you think
Thing is me and wife lived in Brisbane before and love it there is so much to do there