Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for other Canadians out there who may have done this before.

I want to either renew or get a fresh TN status before my current one expires.

I can't seem to find a straight answer but it seems like I might actually be required to drive to the border. I am not interested in having my employer send out an I-129 to UCSIS. I'd rather know the result of my application right away rather than have Xmas travel season complicated by a pending petition.

I thought I'd be able to visit the nearest port of entry, which for me is a CBP office next to an airport but nowhere near the Canadian border. The difference is an hour vs 10 hours one way. The written laws are really vague about whether I need to actually return to a US-Canada border Port of Entry or if any one will do.

Has anyone else who has had a TN visa/status had to do this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Although it's a little unclear from the bits of legalese I read, I was able to confirm with the nearest CBP office that you need to leave and renter the US to do this.

You'd think the local airport office might have a line you could step over first to make that whole process possible, but you can probably imagine all kinds of other complications if they did that.

So apparently the only options are to apply for an extension through USCIS or return to Canada first and re-enter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts