Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Am looking at the form we have been sent to fill in ahead of our meeting in Dordogne region to make a first request for titre de séjour - my husband is British citizen but he is making the request based on marriage to European citizen.

I notice it says the following:
TITRE de SEJOUR SOLLICITE
1ère demande /Renouvellement /Changement de Statut /Modification
Je suis informé·e que depuis le 07 mars 2018, l'accès à la carte de résident est également subordonné à la présentation d'un diplôme attestant d'un niveau de connaissance du français au moins équivalent au niveau A2 (diplôme national du brevet):
J’atteste avoir le niveau A2 au dépôt du dossier (joindre diplôme ou attestation) Je déclare ne pas avoir le niveau A2 au dépôt du dossier
Roughly translated:
I am informed that since March 07, 2018, access to the resident card is also subject to the presentation of a diploma attesting to a level of knowledge of French at least equivalent to level A2 (national diploma of the patent ):
I certify that I have level A2 when submitting the file (attach diploma or certificate)
I declare that I do not have level A2 when submitting the file

Is this a requirement for a later stage in the process - full residency for example - and not the first request for a titre de séjour? My husband doesn't currently meet this requirement, though we are both working to improve our French.

Thanks as always for your help

Gary

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Yes, apparently you'll need to pass a language test level A2 to obtain your first "carte de résident"
Apparently there's an exemption for over 65 year olds ... according to the service public website

You'll have to pass a TCF (test de connaissance de français) level A2 (or an equivalent diploma):

NEWS: "Le TCF pour la carte de résident en France (TCF CRF) sera remplacé par le TCF Intégration, Résidence et Naturalisation (TCF IRN) à partir du 3 janvier 2022"
Just the name changes but the exam looks exactly the same.

Often there can be a long wait (like several months) for a rendez-vous.
The whole TCF process was down for 6 months last year - both exam and correction centers due to covid19
Also many centers have completely stopped doing the test because they can't or won't handle the new sanitary protocol.

To help you revise, enter "TCF test example" on you tube or any search engine

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, apparently you'll need to pass a language test level A2 to obtain your first "carte de résident"
Apparently there's an exemption for over 65 year olds ... according to the service public website

You'll have to pass a TCF (test de connaissance de français) level A2 (or an equivalent diploma):

NEWS: "Le TCF pour la carte de résident en France (TCF CRF) sera remplacé par le TCF Intégration, Résidence et Naturalisation (TCF IRN) à partir du 3 janvier 2022"
Just the name changes but the exam looks exactly the same.

Often there can be a long wait (like several months) for a rendez-vous.
The whole TCF process was down for 6 months last year - both exam and correction centers due to covid19
Also many centers have completely stopped doing the test because they can't or won't handle the new sanitary protocol.

To help you revise, enter "TCF test example" on you tube or any search engine
Very helpful - thank you, though does add another bit of complexity, thanks again

·
Super Moderator
1,946 Posts
Hi all

Am looking at the form we have been sent to fill in ahead of our meeting in Dordogne region to make a first request for titre de séjour - my husband is British citizen but he is making the request based on marriage to European citizen.

I notice it says the following:
TITRE de SEJOUR SOLLICITE
1ère demande /Renouvellement /Changement de Statut /Modification
Je suis informé·e que depuis le 07 mars 2018, l'accès à la carte de résident est également subordonné à la présentation d'un diplôme attestant d'un niveau de connaissance du français au moins équivalent au niveau A2 (diplôme national du brevet):
J’atteste avoir le niveau A2 au dépôt du dossier (joindre diplôme ou attestation) Je déclare ne pas avoir le niveau A2 au dépôt du dossier
Roughly translated:
I am informed that since March 07, 2018, access to the resident card is also subject to the presentation of a diploma attesting to a level of knowledge of French at least equivalent to level A2 (national diploma of the patent ):
I certify that I have level A2 when submitting the file (attach diploma or certificate)
I declare that I do not have level A2 when submitting the file

Is this a requirement for a later stage in the process - full residency for example - and not the first request for a titre de séjour? My husband doesn't currently meet this requirement, though we are both working to improve our French.

Thanks as always for your help

Gary
Europeans and family members of Europeans do not need to prove language skills:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Europeans and family members of Europeans do not need to prove language skills:

Thank you - hopefully that is case (although we are committed to improving our French)

·
Super Moderator
1,946 Posts
Thank you - hopefully that is case (although we are committed to improving our French)
Just be careful to apply under EU rules.

Are you exercising treaty rights?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just be careful to apply under EU rules.

Are you exercising treaty rights?
Thanks for your reply - appreciated as always.
Am applying within the time frame set out under EU guidelines - within three months of legally arriving in France. Is that what you mean? We are following the procedure set out in Dordogne for the 'first demand' of the spouse of a European citizen and will provide proof of relationship (marriage certificate) passport, birth certificate, proof of income and health insurance cover, and proof of current residency in France all with copies translated into French. I am not sure what other way I can 'exercise treaty rights' ? The appointment is tomorrow morning so I guess not much time for us to follow other options?

..Kind regards, Gary

·
Administrator
51,971 Posts
I am not sure what other way I can 'exercise treaty rights' ? The appointment is tomorrow morning so I guess not much time for us to follow other options?
This could become an "issue" - the point about "exercising treaty rights" refers to the "statut" of the European national spouse. Basically means "what brings them to France?" The appropriate responses usually are: a job, study or being retired (which gives her a statut of "inactif"). But the proof of income refers to the European national - so it's important that she have a pension in her own name (or some other source of income that comes in to her rather than to you).

We've had a few folks in the past who have run afoul of this "technicality." Just so you're aware - but it may or may not come up. (Things have been changing here so fast it's really difficult to keep up.)

·
Super Moderator
1,946 Posts
I am not sure what other way I can 'exercise treaty rights' ? The appointment is tomorrow morning so I guess not much time for us to follow other options?

..Kind regards, Gary
European nationals and their non-EEA family members have a right to stay in an EU-host country of which they do not hold nationality for more than 90 days if they exercise EU treaty rights: being employed, being self-employed, being enrolled in full-time study or being self-sufficient (the latter is defined differently in each country depending on cost of living).

So, you, the EU national, should be exercising treaty rights and then your right to stay extends to your non-EEA spouse.

EDIT: Is your proof of income from a job in France?

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
In any case, since your interview is tomorrow, you are about to find out whether or not you meet the requirements or if it is going to be a little more complicated. I would suggest you wait and see what they actually tell you tomorrow and take it from there. I would say nobody here can tell you with any certainty.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
European nationals and their non-EEA family members have a right to stay in an EU-host country of which they do not hold nationality for more than 90 days if they exercise EU treaty rights: being employed, being self-employed, being enrolled in full-time study or being self-sufficient (the latter is defined differently in each country depending on cost of living).

So, you, the EU national, should be exercising treaty rights and then your right to stay extends to your non-EEA spouse.

Thank you for helpful response. The proof of income is a monthly pension from the UK. I stoped work early after falling sick with cancer, though now two years in remission. We would say we came to France for a quieter life and perhaps to purchase a property with potential for income from a small number of gites.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In any case, since your interview is tomorrow, you are about to find out whether or not you meet the requirements or if it is going to be a little more complicated. I would suggest you wait and see what they actually tell you tomorrow and take it from there. I would say nobody here can tell you with any certainty.
Yes, not long to wait. Many thanks as always

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Thank you for helpful reply. Proof of income is a private UK pension.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks all very much. In the end the meeting was fine - language test wasn't even mentioned and the proof of income we offered in terms of pension statements and joint bank statements all seemed to be acceptable. Having a joint French bank account seemed to help. We didn't get a final receipt as the guy dealing with it said his boss would have to look over documents (I believe because it involved British citizen post Brexit - if I understood him correctly.) But he didn't seem to think there would be a problem. Definitely a relief to have it out of the way and greatly appreciate all the input along the way in this forum - made a real difference. Kind regards, Gary

·
Administrator
51,971 Posts
Good to hear it all went well. As I said, they may or may not be sticklers for things that other departements make a big deal over. Basically they have no particular reason to want to refuse you as long as you don't appear to be "trying to get away with something" somehow. (Which you clearly are not.)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good to hear it all went well. As I said, they may or may not be sticklers for things that other departements make a big deal over. Basically they have no particular reason to want to refuse you as long as you don't appear to be "trying to get away with something" somehow. (Which you clearly are not.)
Thanks Bevdeforges - your thoughtful replies along the way to my many posts were extremely helpful and helped guide me through the maze...For me (for the possible benefit of others who may read this) it seemed critical to have recent versions of key documents such as birth and marriage certificates, good translations of all key documents by an official town hall translator, and a variety of evidence of financial stability if at all possible.

And thanks again, Gary (now on to the Carte Vitale!)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts