Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My post-Brexit CdS arrived by lettre recommandée, and I wonder if there is any further action to take.

Specifically, the card was gummed to a sheet of paper which is in two parts: the part below the dotted line is marked "Volet à conserver par le titulaire", so that's obvious enough. However, the upper part is marked: "Volet à conserver par l'Administration", and there are three boxes (all empty at the moment) with captions "Signature de l'agent", "Date de remise" and "Signature du titulaire".

But there is no information about what to do with this, no address to return it to, no envelope provided. The card arrived stuck to this sheet, a separate sheet of paper with my home address on and that's all.

Has anyone done anything with this sheet, such as sign it and send it somewhere? Or does it just get filed with all the other "official papers" that are slowly accumulating in the filing cabinet?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
My post-Brexit CdS arrived by lettre recommandée, and I wonder if there is any further action to take.

Specifically, the card was gummed to a sheet of paper which is in two parts: the part below the dotted line is marked "Volet à conserver par le titulaire", so that's obvious enough. However, the upper part is marked: "Volet à conserver par l'Administration", and there are three boxes (all empty at the moment) with captions "Signature de l'agent", "Date de remise" and "Signature du titulaire".

But there is no information about what to do with this, no address to return it to, no envelope provided. The card arrived stuck to this sheet, a separate sheet of paper with my home address on and that's all.

Has anyone done anything with this sheet, such as sign it and send it somewhere? Or does it just get filed with all the other "official papers" that are slowly accumulating in the filing cabinet?
Ask your Préfecture (they are all handling it differently).

·
Registered
1,233 Posts

If you have only received one card and the other portions are just printed on paper, you may very well have nothing to do. Your signature has been effected by signing for the lettre recommandée and the Prefecture staff should be able to match that up with the record of your CDS being sent and put it with the file they hold for you, which I think is what they would have done in any case with the rest of the sheet. But the best way to confirm this would be just to check with the Prefecture.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
You're lucky. The Mrs. and I had to pick ours up at the Prefecture.
Walked in, waited until our numbers were called, signed for them, walked out.

·
Administrator
50,378 Posts
It's entirely possible that they are using up the old forms/cards they have in stock. As I understand it, the latest CDS is now small format (like the new driving licenses) - basically credit card size. If that's the case I can understand them wanting to stick it onto a more standard size piece of heavy paper or cardboard for mailing. (Stranger things have happened.)

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
It's entirely possible that they are using up the old forms/cards they have in stock. As I understand it, the latest CDS is now small format (like the new driving licenses) - basically credit card size. If that's the case I can understand them wanting to stick it onto a more standard size piece of heavy paper or cardboard for mailing. (Stranger things have happened.)
I don't think so, they are entirely new cards in a special WA format.

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
They’ve been like that ever since I got my first CdS in 2012 or so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bev is correct though, they used to be 'quite big'...long before 2012. Like...they don't fit anywhere. Wallet, back pocket. Just one big lump of plastic that just stayed at home.

So no real use. :)

Like the new one. Except it is smaller.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Bev is correct though, they used to be 'quite big'...long before 2012. Like...they don't fit anywhere. Wallet, back pocket. Just one big lump of plastic that just stayed at home.

So no real use. :)

Like the new one. Except it is smaller.
Like a passport doesn't fit in a wallet or back pocket you mean :) Though why anyone would carry their ID in their back pocket I have no idea. Recently came across a French woman desperately searching for her carte d'identité (they not the nw DL size either) on a walking track - she had put it in her back pocket.

Also never understood why so many men put their wallet in their back pocket but can only assume it's because they have a screw loose.

·
Administrator
50,378 Posts
Sometimes back pockets are all you have. ( It is usually amazing when women's clothing has any "practical" pockets at all.) And I can't imagine that carrying your carte d'identité in a front pocket is terribly practical either - at least not if you're planning on sitting down at any point.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Sometimes back pockets are all you have. ( It is usually amazing when women's clothing has any "practical" pockets at all.) And I can't imagine that carrying your carte d'identité in a front pocket is terribly practical either - at least not if you're planning on sitting down at any point.
There are all sorts of small bags you can use, for women, for men - really, there are lots of solutions.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I applied in early December, not had a response. Followed up with an email quoting the reference number I received on application, never received an email but the site generated a ref number. No response to the follow up email either. Getting a little concerned.

·
Registered
660 Posts
"Volet à conserver par l'Administration", and there are three boxes (all empty at the moment) with captions "Signature de l'agent", "Date de remise" and "Signature du titulaire".

Rob, don't worry about it and honestly I wouldn't waste your prefectures time, they are all struggling so much. They dont' need to have the paper back, it is a thing that would be signed by you and them if you collected from the prefecture. As a pp said the signature on the delivery is fine.

I applied in early December, not had a response. Followed up with an email quoting the reference number I received on application, never received an email but the site generated a ref number. No response to the follow up email either. Getting a little concerned.
What department are you in? This is very normal for some departments, they have the 'no deal portal' applications to get through first and then starting in order from mid October, also adding in down time over christmas and NY. For most departments don't expect to hear anything for at least 6-8 weeks then it moves quite quickly. The main thing is that you got your inital confirmation email after applying. If you have that you are fine. If you don't then something went wrong and reapply (with a note in the comments box).

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
FWIW my timeline was:
  • applied online 20 October
  • notification that it was approved arrived 3 December
  • RDV to do the fingerprinting, hand over photos etc 4 December
( the man behind the window said the card would take "a month or two" to arrive)
- card arrived in the post last week.

But two words of caution: each Préfecture works in its own way, so I don't think this can be generalised much; and I applied pretty much as soon as the website opened and I guess the rate has slowed down with extra demand since October.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
FWIW my timeline was:
  • applied online 20 October
  • notification that it was approved arrived 3 December
  • RDV to do the fingerprinting, hand over photos etc 4 December
( the man behind the window said the card would take "a month or two" to arrive)
- card arrived in the post last week.

But two words of caution: each Préfecture works in its own way, so I don't think this can be generalised much; and I applied pretty much as soon as the website opened and I guess the rate has slowed down with extra demand since October.
Isn't there a home visit by the police with this carte?

I seem to remember someone (Berki?) applying for a Cds and talking about the flics 'popping round for tea' to verify that he actually lives at that address.

(p.s. Nothing to hide except a dump of a house & it's in covid isolation).

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Isn't there a home visit by the police with this carte?

I seem to remember someone (Berki?) applying for a Cds and talking about the flics 'popping round for tea' to verify that he actually lives at that address.

(p.s. Nothing to hide except a dump of a house & it's in covid isolation).
No, this card is "automatic" if you are a UK citizen resident in France before Dec31 2020 (with differences if you've been in France more than 5 years). It's part of the withdrawal agreement guaranteeing citizens' rights. You just need to provide a miniumum of proof that you are in that category. The application process is very straightforward.

Edit: perhaps if the proof of address or residence is a bit flaky, they might check it more thoroughly. But the evidence they ask for seems pretty flexible, and would be available to most residents as long as they have been here for a while and not living below the radar. Would be more challenging for the recent arrivals.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts