Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Apologies if this has already been covered somewhere before, but despite searching I cannot find the answer as yet :(

I recently got married and my wife already holds property in Dubai, but is a UK citizen and does not have a UAE visa as yet. Whilst in the UAE I am likely to be the only one working, and hope to live in Dubai but have my residency visa in Abu Dhabi due to the HQ for my job.

Questions we need help with:

1) In order to prove my residency in the apartment, does she need to issue me some form of tenancy agreement or is there a way we can prove that I am legally co-habiting with her (we already have our marriage certificate attested by the UAE embassy in the UK and are doing the same in the UAE now)?

2) Do I need to be added to her title deed by law or if we are married, according to Sharia Law do I now effectively have ownership rights to the property?

3) Would we be able to open a joint bank account that is used to pay the bills such as DEWA, Du etc or would my name need to be on the title deeds in order to set up these payments?

Any help would be appreciated as I dont think its usual that the husband and wife come here, wife owns the property but the husband brings in the income - so it is probably an unusual situation :)

Thanks for your inputs!

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
1) The fact you are married should be sufficient.

2) No you won't own it jointly (!), but I wouldn't advise that you put the property in joint names as under Sharia law she could be severly disadvantaged should you die.

3) Yes you can set up a joint bank account

For further info regarding Sharia law and how it could affect you see here: Sharia Law and Your Money | Financialuae's Blog

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.