Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, so i'm currently on a mission to learn 3 languages: Italian, Spanish and German. I know it may be a much to take on but does anyone have any tips on how i can manage this?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys, so i'm currently on a mission to learn 3 languages: Italian, Spanish and German. I know it may be a much to take on but does anyone have any tips on how i can manage this?
Hello, I'm bilingual since childhood with English as a first language, followed by two South Asian languages.
In my 30s learnt Spanish and then Italian, which are at an advanced level, and did German to GCSE at school (although I learnt little which is of use).
I would say that learning 3 languages at once is a really challenge- even for the brightest and smartest person, especially if you speak no other languages already.

I would say pick one, which you really want to learn and dedicate time to that. I learnt through a lot of self study at home and then intensive language courses whilst on holiday in the countries...then when you are at a high level ( I was advanced in Spanish before I learnt Italian), start the next one.
One downside which others have agreed is that my Spanish has taken a knock due to the newer Italian in my head...and that's unavoidable it seems, unless you're a real language expert. One is always more dominant than the other, although my south Asian languages remain unaffected, but that's likely because they have been learnt in childhood.
But listen to music, watch subtitled films, read basic books, use apps that help you (the immersion), that's what really makes a difference. ultimately language learning should be fun, as it can be really hard work otherwise and you'll ask yourself why you're doing it!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.