Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw a thread on tinacos. I have never heard of these things until now. I know its a water tank. Why do you need these things? & what do they cost?

·
Super Moderator
Guadalajara, México
7,056 Posts
Saw a thread on tinacos. I have never heard of these things until now. I know its a water tank. Why do you need these things? & what do they cost?
Tinacos live on the roof of most buildings. They are filled by a connection to the water supply system. And gravity provides the water pressure to the faucets in the house. The water supply does not provide sufficient pressure or volume to go directly to the faucets like it does in some countries.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Tinaco are on the roof and aljibe are usually underground.. The reason you need those is that water is not neessaraly distributed everyday. In Chiapas we get it 3 times a week.. In Ajiijic, Jal. we get it everyday but as TundraGreen says the pressure can be low depending on where you are located.. The advantage of the Tinaco is that it works by gravity, if you have a aljibe you need electricity but it can be way bigger than a tinaco .. I have both.. Some people have several tinacos..
Both should be cleaned every 6 months or year depending on the water you are getting.

·
Super Moderator
Guadalajara, México
7,056 Posts
I am a building superintendent in NYC. Wouldn't a water pressurizer/circulator work?
Some people, mostly from north-of-the-border, do install pressurization systems. It is expensive and you still need a tinaco to provide an adequate supply of water to the pressurization system. The pipes coming into houses provide enough flow to meet average needs, x liters per day. They do not provide enough volume to meet instantaneous needs, x liters per minute.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Some people, mostly from north-of-the-border, do install pressurization systems. It is expensive and you still need a tinaco to provide an adequate supply of water to the pressurization system. The pipes coming into houses provide enough flow to meet average needs, x liters per day. They do not provide enough volume to meet instantaneous needs, x liters per minute.
We are from NOB :) but we inherited our pressurization system. The first year we rented and even with those low-flow shower heads we could not get decent pressure. Color me finicky but when I walk out of the shower I like to feel clean and not all slimy.

I don't really understand all the plumbing etc we have on the roof. I'm not sure if the same pump is used to bring water to the roof AND drive the pressurization tank. The tank itself is fiber-glass and having been exposed to direct sun for many years looks due for replacement. The pump is getting a little loud at times. Within the last year we priced a replacement system. It was very affordable (with a more energy efficient pump) - it is on the list.

Edit : btw - our 'rain harvesting' wireless tinaco water level gizmo is perhaps one of the best $100 USD investments we have ever made !

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I am a building superintendent in NYC. Wouldn't a water pressurizer/circulator work?
Some houses do have pressurized systems, but they are not the norm. You have to be cautious if retrofitting a pressurizer onto an older system, as not all plumbing systems in Mexico are/were designed for higher pressures and pressurizing them could cause leaks in the pipes.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
If all other plumbing is working properly, I haven't found the water pressure created by a tinaco to be that bad at all. Any house that I have been in with bad water pressure turns out to have some goofy plumbing going on that is the real culprit.

·
Registered
580 Posts
We are from NOB :) but we inherited our pressurization system. The first year we rented and even with those low-flow shower heads we could not get decent pressure. Color me finicky but when I walk out of the shower I like to feel clean and not all slimy.

I don't really understand all the plumbing etc we have on the roof. I'm not sure if the same pump is used to bring water to the roof AND drive the pressurization tank. The tank itself is fiber-glass and having been exposed to direct sun for many years looks due for replacement. The pump is getting a little loud at times. Within the last year we priced a replacement system. It was very affordable (with a more energy efficient pump) - it is on the list.

Edit : btw - our 'rain harvesting' wireless tinaco water level gizmo is perhaps one of the best $100 USD investments we have ever made !
Low flow shower heads do not work well at all with gravity system. But I have found a type of shower head that works fantastic for that. Hecho en Mexico. Is made almost completely of plastic. I found them at Mega, but here is the email address to find a distributor in your area- CUMNDA-Ecológica Tel.# 336 860 6829

I was skeptical when I bought it, but figured all I would lose by trying it was the 150 pesos they cost at the time. Milagro de milagros, it actually works as advertised. When they eventually get plugged up from hard water, just remove, soak in a container of white vinegar for a few hours.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
tinacos

I live in NYC, water pressure here almost knocks you over! guess i'll have to live w/ low pressure.Reminds me of a Seinfeld episode where Kramer buys hi flow showerheads out of the trunk of a car.

·
Super Moderator
9,011 Posts
I live in NYC, water pressure here almost knocks you over! guess i'll have to live w/ low pressure.Reminds me of a Seinfeld episode where Kramer buys hi flow showerheads out of the trunk of a car.
I remember that episode!

There's low water pressure, and there are those days when there is no water pressure at all!

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
My husband, a Mexican who lived with gravity-fed systems most of his life, has decided he quite likes higher water pressure and is looking at possibly installing a pressurized system in our house.

Here's a link to an "on-demand" pressure pump which can be activated only when needed, to avoid having the water system constantly pressurized, saving electricity and pressure on the water pipes. Essentially you use it for situations where you need higher pressure, e.g. taking a shower, running the washing machine, etc. as long as your okay with low flow for smaller things like washing your hands.

https://www.bombas-vars.com/presurziadores

·
Registered
580 Posts
My husband, a Mexican who lived with gravity-fed systems most of his life, has decided he quite likes higher water pressure and is looking at possibly installing a pressurized system in our house.

Here's a link to an "on-demand" pressure pump which can be activated only when needed, to avoid having the water system constantly pressurized, saving electricity and pressure on the water pipes. Essentially you use it for situations where you need higher pressure, e.g. taking a shower, running the washing machine, etc. as long as your okay with low flow for smaller things like washing your hands.

https://www.bombas-vars.com/presurziadores
I can understand wanting higher pressure for a shower, but why for a washing machine? It fills with water, agitates, drains, spins, fills with water again, rinses, etc. What would be the advantage of high pressure?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I put a on-demand pressure pump on my water system here and for showering and a little more oomph on the toilet flush.
I am very happy with it.
Found it at Home Depot in PV.

TTFN
Kirby

·
Super Moderator
9,011 Posts
I put a on-demand pressure pump on my water system here and for showering and a little more oomph on the toilet flush.
I am very happy with it.

TTFN
Kirby
Welcome to the forum, Kirby.:)

·
Registered
580 Posts
I am very happy with it.

TTFN
Kirby
Okay, I have the same question for you as I did re why one would need a pressurized system for a washing machine. A toilet flushes from the water already in the toilet tank. A pressurized water system would not give the toilet flushing any more "oomph".

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I can understand wanting higher pressure for a shower, but why for a washing machine? It fills with water, agitates, drains, spins, fills with water again, rinses, etc. What would be the advantage of high pressure?
I'll have to ask my husband. He's the one who said he wanted it for the washer. He spends far more time in Mexico than me, since he's working on our "house in progress" while I'm in Canada still working to pay the bills. I think it's both to speed up the filling of the machine, and to still have decent enough pressure to use water elsewhere while it is filling. If we have it hooked up to the tinaco to use for showers, not a big deal to turn it on while running a load of wash. We don't have one yet, but it's on my husband's wish list - and he's NOT generally a "gotta have the latest gadget" kind of guy. In Canada he's often been called the "Mexican McGyver" in that he finds all sorts of ways to fix things with whatever is at hand. But that is pretty common throughout Mexico, isn't it?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts