Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my PR in Australia two years back and went there for my first entry. But living outside for study purpose and I didn't go there yet to stay permanently.

Now my query: Is there any timeline by which one must have to start living in Australia if he wants to keep his PR? What I am trying to say, as to keep PR further one probably has to stay 4 years (or 3 yrs, not sure) in Australia out of 5 years. So, if someone lives outside more than 2-3 years and then returns to Australia and starts living there permanently, will he be able to extend (keep) his PR visa? I am not aware of this rule so need your suggestion.

Thank you for answer in advanced.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
You need to be in Australia before it expires. If you are you can stay forever but can not leave the country until you qualify for a return residents visa. If you leave without a return residents visa you will have no right to return.

To qualify for a return residents visa you need to spend 2 years in Australia.

To qualify for citizenship you need to spend 4 years in Australia with some short allowable absences fir holidays etc.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You need to be in Australia before it expires. If you are you can stay forever but can not leave the country until you qualify for a return residents visa. If you leave without a return residents visa you will have no right to return.

To qualify for a return residents visa you need to spend 2 years in Australia.

To qualify for citizenship you need to spend 4 years in Australia with some short allowable absences fir holidays etc.
Thanks, I probably have understood what you said. But just to clarify:

You mean I can enter Australia even in my last year of the first 5 year granted for PR visa. But then I have to stay at least 2 years [without any absence] to get return residents visa [so that I can leave Australia and again come back later] and need to live 4 years [with short absences] to qualify for citizenship. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you again for your answer.

Reactions: _shel
1 - 4 of 4 Posts