Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22,341 Posts
Perhaps their investigations should focus on those aged, leathery 'I've been on the Costas since 1950 and I've seen some changes..' 'ex-pats' when they've completed their more archeological researches?
Some might have interesting tales to tell...

·
Registered
22,341 Posts
When, in the early 80s, we used to spend our summers in Ibiza, there was a group of mainly elderly people, quite posh, in our village,known as the 'Ancient Brits'. They were extremely suntanned, bedeck with gold jewelry, always dressed in ancient but immaculate whites, the men in posh Panamas. They looked and were gin-soaked. They were a fairly Bohemian crowd, numbering amongst them some fairly famous people, like Dermot Elliot, Terry Thomas, Colin Chapman..
We got to know a woman who was on the fringes of that set, a large woman, Edith, then widowed but formerly married to an official in the Indian Civil Service, who spoke fluent Spanish with a regal British accent and who washed dishes in a local café for a living. They had lived in Ibiza for nearly forty years, had a lovely old villa, the kitchen of which she set on fire whilst preparing lunch for us. ....she had enjoyed quite a few G&Ts whilst preparing lunch. She could tell fascinating stories about Spain in the early 1950s and took us to some beautiful corners of what was at that time still comparatively unspoilt little island.
These people, some of whom were 'black sheep' of aristocratic families sent off to debauch somewhere out of the way are all dead by now but they represent a totally different type of immigrant to most of us and had interesting tales to tell. Their experiences are very different to those of integrated people like PW who literally married into Spain but equally different from the post EU immigrants of the 1980s onwards.
I don't suppose anyone has written about them but they form a small but important part of the story of British settlement in Spain.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Of possible interest to those in or visiting Denia
Time Team S07E01 denia,.spain - YouTube
Thank you for posting that YouTube, very interesting as I live on the other side of the mountain, which separates Javea from Denia. The archeological site in Denia is very near the car park we always use, I think perhaps we will go and have a look to see if they are still digging in the near future.:)

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
I was able to play the clip with no problems, but it was all fairly modern. We have various sites here that have been underexplored, one a beaker-folk area, and another ibero-roman site with a Roman villa near that. Of course, since the Christian/moslem border fluctuated wildly over this patch, there is plenty to be found relating to the reconquest.

·
Registered
19,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I've just watched it and found it interesting. I do love this programme and with it being in Spain, and with the lovely Pepe and his classic accent I enjoyed the programme.
Interesting to hear the origin of the word paella

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Well, I've just watched it and found it interesting. I do love this programme and with it being in Spain, and with the lovely Pepe and his classic accent I enjoyed the programme.
Interesting to hear the origin of the word paella
I haven't watched the programme but I have always understood the word "paella" to refer to the pan the dish is cooked in (at least in some parts of Spain - elsewhere (esp/Latin America) it is called a paellera)

·
Registered
19,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I haven't watched the programme but I have always understood the word "paella" to refer to the pan the dish is cooked in (at least in some parts of Spain - elsewhere (esp/Latin America) it is called a paellera)
I expect it's one of those things that has many different possibilties, but here they say the origin of the word is in the Arabic word for leftovers which is what paella was made from.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts