Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching through the forums to get as much information as i can, but i can't find anything about this particular question.

The story: I'm an Aussie living in Vancouver, BC, and my girlfriend (US citizen, soon to be fiancee) lives in Longview, WA. It's only a few hours apart, and we see each other regularly. This however, doesn't go well with the Partner (temp/permanent) offshore 309/100 and the applicable onshore one as well because we haven't lived together yet. We have however been together for more than a year, with plenty of photos, friends and family as evidence of this.

We want to move back to Australia, and i was wondering: if she gets a Work and Holiday (Subclass 462), and as soon as we get to Australia, open a bank account and all the necessary extras (i've already got a place to live), will that time together count towards the 12 months requirement? I know that 462 ISN'T a path to permanent residency, but my main thing is - does the time in AU count?

If it doesn't, then i'll have to find another way. Any info would help, because i haven't found any yet.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Hi there,

Welcome to the forum.

Firstly, here are the restrictions/obligations for the WHV and the spouse visa:

Visa Options - Working Holiday - Visas & Immigration
Family - Visas & Immigration

Whilst your partner would be over here on the WHV your time spent living together would go towards the 12 months recommended Visa Options - Working Holiday - Visas & Immigration

In the 2 year period that the WHV could run, you would be able to get those months in, apply and get the spouse visa.

Here's what you need to be able to support the de facto relationship: Australian Immigration Fact Sheet 35. One-Year Relationship Requirement

HTH
Dolly

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there,

Welcome to the forum.

Firstly, here are the restrictions/obligations for the WHV and the spouse visa:

(i can't post URLs yet)

Whilst your partner would be over here on the WHV your time spent living together would go towards the 12 months recommended (no URLs)

In the 2 year period that the WHV could run, you would be able to get those months in, apply and get the spouse visa.

Here's what you need to be able to support the de facto relationship: (no URLs)

HTH
Dolly
Thanks for that Dolly - that's the main thing i was wondering - if the time would count. I've been pouring over the links you've posted for the last few weeks, and you've answered my question. Thank you so much for that.

Thanks for that link to the onshore temporary visa - i hadn't seen that one before.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
hi for the world

in india living together isnt very common, infact you will see one is a few thousand cases. living together isnt the only proof of you seeing someone. as long as you can prove you are together it will work. you need to gather as much proof as you can to convince the CO that you indeed are in a relation.

i know someone who was in India seeing someone in Australia (together only for a month) and is now in AU :) with him. she had all her conversations saved, small lil things like skype call record, receipts of gifts sent/received etc.

start working on it, i am sure u can prove it.

wish you luck

cheers
anj

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi for the world

in india living together isnt very common, infact you will see one is a few thousand cases. living together isnt the only proof of you seeing someone. as long as you can prove you are together it will work. you need to gather as much proof as you can to convince the CO that you indeed are in a relation.

i know someone who was in India seeing someone in Australia (together only for a month) and is now in AU :) with him. she had all her conversations saved, small lil things like skype call record, receipts of gifts sent/received etc.

start working on it, i am sure u can prove it.

wish you luck

cheers
anj
Thanks Anj! I've been going through my drawer where i keep all my train tickets, car rental papers and such (proof of traveling) and we've got emails, call records etc. galore. I'll definitely start making sure it's all together and i'll keep my fingers crossed. Glad to hear your friend made it to Australia. Great story!

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
:) wishu luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts