Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
i will be moving to perth next year.
I am worried about the education of my kids.
The school year here ends in the month of march every year
while in australia it starts from jan/feb.
Can anyone have an idea how this time difference is adjusted by the schools in australia.
Is it required for the kids to study again in the same class over in australia. This thought is killing me.
Please help me out.
(by the way i will be moving to perth area, if this help in providing information)

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Hi there,

It will depend on how old your children are, when their birthday is and when you move over.

Sometimes if you have an older child they may have to go into the year below where they should be, but this is probably best as if they are nearing starting their 2 year course work it would be wise to have a year of Australian school first before going straight into year 11. Been there, done that.

How old are your children?

Dolly

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks dolly for you prompt reply,

my son is born in march 1996 he is at present in class 8th. Which will be over after final exams in march 2010. When we move in july first week he will be in class 9th.

My daughter is born in december 2002 she is in class 2 now same way she will complete class 2 in march 2010. When we move she will be in class 3.

I want to know if they will be accepted for the same class they are in or in lower class.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Just found this on the WA education website:

The Department of Education - Schools and You - Schooling

You can work out from the calculator which year your children should be going into. Once you decide on the area you will be moving to, email a few schools and see what the advise.

Dolly

·
Registered
70 Posts
Schools

Thanks dolly for you prompt reply,

my son is born in march 1996 he is at present in class 8th. Which will be over after final exams in march 2010. When we move in july first week he will be in class 9th.

My daughter is born in december 2002 she is in class 2 now same way she will complete class 2 in march 2010. When we move she will be in class 3.

I want to know if they will be accepted for the same class they are in or in lower class.

Thanks in advance
Hi

We moved from the Uk to Melbourne in September, My daughter was 5 and had finished 1 year of schooling in the UK. In Australia she wouldn't be due to start until feb 2010. But we contacted schools and they let her start straight away. However, she is the youngest and smallest in her class and it has affected her confidence. Academically the school seems the same as where she was in the UK. She would be moving to grade 1 in feb but we have decided to keep her in prep for another year so she will be in the correct age group for Australia. The school has been great and she will be progressed from where she is so no repetition of work, but she will be with the correct age for friends. best to do it now than later.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, you just don't know till you get here and the kids are in school. You may have to do a bit of jiggling around when you get here to get them in the right class for ithem.

good luck

Sheila

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Exactly Sheila,

We moved over mid-October, the boys started school beginning of November. They had about 5 weeks in total before the end of year. No.1 son then straight into Year 11 and his VCE studies.

At the time we felt it better that he stay with his 'peers' and not be with children a year younger than him but in hindsight maybe we should have tried to persuade him to get a year of Australian studies under his belt before going into Year 11. We'd just moved them over and didn't want to rock the boat so tried to make their first weeks here, and at school, as painless as possible. So, this is a long-winded way of saying that as far as your eldest child is concerned if they have to go a year below where they would normally be, it's probably the best thing to do. As for your youngest it wouldn't make any difference.

Dolly

·
Registered
45 Posts
Exactly Sheila,

We moved over mid-October, the boys started school beginning of November. They had about 5 weeks in total before the end of year. No.1 son then straight into Year 11 and his VCE studies.

At the time we felt it better that he stay with his 'peers' and not be with children a year younger than him but in hindsight maybe we should have tried to persuade him to get a year of Australian studies under his belt before going into Year 11. We'd just moved them over and didn't want to rock the boat so tried to make their first weeks here, and at school, as painless as possible. So, this is a long-winded way of saying that as far as your eldest child is concerned if they have to go a year below where they would normally be, it's probably the best thing to do. As for your youngest it wouldn't make any difference.

Dolly
Hi Dolly, hope you don't mind me asking. Would you know if the Australian government require parents to immediately enroll their child in school?

I'm planning for our possible move next year (May or June) and will initially be staying in temporary accommodations. Only when my husband or I find work will we look for an apartment (to be near work) to rent. I understand my daughter would then attend the public school in our apartment's zone/catchment. What should I do about my daughter's education while we are newly arrived and still looking for work (as this might take quite some time) and have not yet moved into an apartment?

·
Registered
111 Posts
It is a dilemma what to do.

It is normal to take some time to establish yourself in the country so your children having a few weeks off school will not be an issue. This is the situation for most people moving to Aus with children. Don't worry about someone from the Dep of Education turning up at your door within days. Although it could take months for any gov department to flag that your children hadn't been enrolled in a school I'd suggest that it is better for them to become enrolled sooner rather than later to start to help them make the transition to life in Aus as well.

Catchment areas are very important for state schools, if you are not in the area then it is less likely you'll get in to your first choice. Private schools do not have such stringent restrictions of area. My advice would be to invest in doing your research thoroughly before you arrive. Use rental sites to work out where you can afford to stay and local education department sites to look at the quality of the schools. Choose what you think your prefered areas will be before you arive and then as you look for more perm rental accomodation following arrival visit the local schools in those areas.

We knew within days of arrival where we would be happy to stay and by visiting the schools where we would want to send our children. We then enrolled our son in the school (a private one) whilst we were in temp accomodation. Enrolling him gave stucture to his life, helped him make some friends and helped him settle in quickly.

Reactions: Dee-Aus

·
Registered
45 Posts
It is a dilemma what to do.

It is normal to take some time to establish yourself in the country so your children having a few weeks off school will not be an issue. This is the situation for most people moving to Aus with children. Don't worry about someone from the Dep of Education turning up at your door within days. Although it could take months for any gov department to flag that your children hadn't been enrolled in a school I'd suggest that it is better for them to become enrolled sooner rather than later to start to help them make the transition to life in Aus as well.

Catchment areas are very important for state schools, if you are not in the area then it is less likely you'll get in to your first choice. Private schools do not have such stringent restrictions of area. My advice would be to invest in doing your research thoroughly before you arrive. Use rental sites to work out where you can afford to stay and local education department sites to look at the quality of the schools. Choose what you think your prefered areas will be before you arive and then as you look for more perm rental accomodation following arrival visit the local schools in those areas.

We knew within days of arrival where we would be happy to stay and by visiting the schools where we would want to send our children. We then enrolled our son in the school (a private one) whilst we were in temp accomodation. Enrolling him gave stucture to his life, helped him make some friends and helped him settle in quickly.
Oh thanks a lot for the inputs, Marcus! I appreciate it very much. Upon arrival and first visit to Centerlink though, won't they impose a deadline for newly migrated students on when to start going to a school?

I will be going for a state school for my daughter, thus my concern about catchment areas. But would you know if schools accept students in the middle of terms? Or will we just need to wait for the next term to start so that everything will be in place then?

Thanks a lot for your advice, we'll make sure to do our research then before arriving there. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.