Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Till such time that I don't get a job, I ll be grateful if any one could guide me and many others like me on what alternatives one has in case he or she doesn't get a job.

I need this advice because I feel that investing this 20 K AUD savings sumwhere/on sum ventures (that I ll bring with me) and earning some amount out of it for survival needs is a lot better option than finishing off all da savings one has in next few months.

Any ideas.... small ventures with a potential to earn enuf to meet the survival needs with an investment of 15-20K Au Dollars?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for your reply shel......
1) Buy a taxi and give it on rent to Taxi services...... OR
2) take a taxi on rent and work as a taxi driver

I hv heard about courier delivery jobs as well? wud u recommend to go for any such option?

·
Registered
138 Posts

I hv heard about courier delivery jobs as well? wud u recommend to go for any such option?
Option 2

·
Registered
16 Posts
For option 2 you need to sit on a certificate exam that used to cost around $2000 seven years back but then i might be totally out of line here... i say maybe you can just put this in high interest/fixed account and just forget about it... you might find there are hundred of people here who would ask you to invest in their business but then as I said there are just businesses.. you might hit it.. or you might just crash.. i wouldn't advise you to invest in any of the local business unless you have sufficient knowledge about it.

·
Registered
657 Posts

Option 2 definitely. You will earn around 4-5k AUD per month and even more if you drive during nights.

Source: two of my knowns are in australia and they are working as taxi driver and earning around 6k per month.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Karan

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Which state are you in ? How long did you search for a job?

Option 2. Do you have driver's license? How long is your country's license valid in Australia? I have driving license from Nepal. how expensive is it to make one there?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Option 2 definitely. You will earn around 4-5k AUD per month and even more if you drive during nights.

Source: two of my knowns are in australia and they are working as taxi driver and earning around 6k per month.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Karan
6K/month incl of taxes?

G

·
I think its a great idea and something I would do if I could drive. Taxis are always needed, for travellers, party goers, tourists and people lugging heavy bags. So long as you are able to pass the tests to get licenced and put the hours in you can earn more than many workers.

·
Registered
259 Posts
This was the biggest concern I had .. what will I do once I will reach OZ & don't get a Job .

So I have got my PLAN B ready already with the start of my new Business venture .. which is not location dependent ! .. I can do it anywhere in the world .

We can also brainstorm on Plan B if you have any other ideas.

We might save ourselves from Driving a Taxi or getting into menial jobs . We are not leaving our Country for this ....

Dragoman

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
are there no other ideas/alternatives (other than driving a taxi) available to people confronting with situation of joblessness/job search with a limited amount of funds e.g 15-20K aus dollars but with a family of 4 on PR Visas

·
Registered
415 Posts
Interesting thread and I am very much interested in hearing the Plan B.

·
Registered
530 Posts
are there no other ideas/alternatives (other than driving a taxi) available to people confronting with situation of joblessness/job search with a limited amount of funds e.g 15-20K aus dollars but with a family of 4 on PR Visas
15-20k.. isnt it enough to survive for 6 months or so?

btw, what's you occupation ? code if you're from IT?

·
Registered
415 Posts
15-20 is enough to last for more than a year if spent wisely and living in shared accommodation as a bachelor.

·
Registered
530 Posts
15-20 is enough to last for more than a year if spent wisely and living in shared accommodation as a bachelor.
That's what I'm thinking.. !!

Moved with 15-20 k and planning for driving taxi :confused:

Reactions: findraj
G

·
A year! Maybe yes if you also sat on street corner begging!

No but nobody is planning on moving the other side of the world to become a taxi driver but if one is unable to find work after say 6 months its a good option. It is even a good option as a second job you can do as and when you need or want to with no commitment to boost your income especially if you have kids and a non working spouse.

But people really shouldnt be looking down their noses at other occupations they perceive are below them, not just taxi driving. Especially when some jobs they see as menial can earn $80 - $100k a year when I have seen professionals offered just $55 - $70k

·
Registered
415 Posts
A year! Maybe yes if you also sat on street corner begging!

No but nobody is planning on moving the other side of the world to become a taxi driver but if one is unable to find work after say 6 months its a good option. It is even a good option as a second job you can do as and when you need or want to with no commitment to boost your income especially if you have kids and a non working spouse.

But people really shouldnt be looking down their noses at other occupations they perceive are below them, not just taxi driving. Especially when some jobs they see as menial can earn $80 - $100k a year when I have seen professionals offered just $55 - $70k
Do you mean that much money wont suffice for a year? I have seen people living in far away suburbs in Melbourne in shared accommodation paying $150 or less a week including BF+Dinner and wifi.

G

·
I dont see how it would last a year unless you were not eating enough, not paying for any transport and pretty much living like a hermit!

1 - 20 of 157 Posts