Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

New member here and about to make appointment for premium service appointment for unmarried partner visa in coming end of August.

I have few questions here and there, so will start by providing some background first:

Background

I am a BNO passport holder from HK and my partner is British Citizen. We met in HK around October 2013 and we have been together since (so about 4 years 10 months). He has returned to the UK for work in September 2015 and I came to join him in UK under Tier 5 YMS visa (valid from 25 Aug 2016).

I physically moved and arrived in UK on 14 September 2016 (alto the visa was started / valid earlier). At that point we stayed with his parents, property owned by his parents, no lease agreement, all letters in our own names).

Then in Feb 2017, we then moved into another property just the two of us (property owned by his parents, no lease agreement). We then have proof of address in joint name (council tax, water bill, bank acc) and plenty of other mails in our own names.

Q: Proof of relationship - living together at least 2 years requirements

By the time of the appointment (which I will try making it as close to visa due date of 25 Aug 2018), I will be ~ 3 weeks short out of 2 years requirement. I wanted to know how strong is our case?

We do not have any lease agreement but I suppose we can get owner (parents) to write letter to substantiate this. I also have the following proof of address:

Proof of address - applicant (plenty and the 'earliest' ones as below)
NINo letter (from Jobcentreplus in Oct 2016)
Bank account letter (when I applied for bank acc in Oct 2016)
HMRC tax code letter (Jan 2017)

Proof of address - sponsor. Plenty (Bank, home insurance, energy bill etc)

Proof of address - joint name
Water bill (Feb 2017)
Joint bank account letter (Aug 2017)
2018/19 council tax (Mar 2018)

Do we have enough information here? What else can we provde to make our case stronger?

Obviously we are in a genuine relationship for over 4 years now, plenty of photos, texts, travel records etc but we did not live together before I move to the UK. During the one year we were apart (as he returned to the UK first) - we have both visited each other in UK and HK, and travelling together.

Anyone has similar experience, please share!!

Q: English requirement

I did my degree in Australia and Do I still need to apply certificate from UK NARIC? All my transcript etc are all in English. If I do need one - which one do I need: Statement of Comparability OR English Language Assessment?

Really appreciate any guidance or tips!

Thanks.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Your English Language q:
You need a Naric statement of comparability for a degree completed in English in Australia.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Johannalouise.

Hi all - any comments re Proof of relationship - living together at least 2 years requirements, would be great. Very nervous about this as soon will be making appointments, so any help to look over the above or any tips would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
17,990 Posts
Australia is a majority English speaking country. You don't need a Naric statement.

You need:
an original and official certificate from your university confirming the degree was taught or researched in a majority English-speaking country (except Canada)
For accommodation I think the deed or land registry, a letter of permission from the parents and a mortgage statement would suffice.

Your cohabitation evidence should be every 4-6 months over the past 2 years. There is no way to predict whether 3 weeks short might be a deal breaker.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks nyclon for your comments.

We were apart the year before I came to UK, however we did travel to see each other 4 times. Should I include any evidence of these? Would they have any bearings on my case?

Would you suggest to include some explanation on my coverletter when I submit docs?

The reason I couldn't come over straightaway is because I was working and I came over 4 days after my last day of work, so I will also have letter of previous employment confirming the same or even departure tax clearance I did with HK IRD.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Please share - under two years cohabiting.

Hi Everyone

Please could anyone share their experiences, who had recently applied for unmarried partner visa FLR(M), with just under two years cohabiting?

I would really appreciate if anyone can share their experience!

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
17,990 Posts
Thanks nyclon for your comments.

We were apart the year before I came to UK, however we did travel to see each other 4 times. Should I include any evidence of these? Would they have any bearings on my case?

Would you suggest to include some explanation on my coverletter when I submit docs?

The reason I couldn't come over straightaway is because I was working and I came over 4 days after my last day of work, so I will also have letter of previous employment confirming the same or even departure tax clearance I did with HK IRD.
If you are applying as unmarried partners they are only concerned that you have been living together for the 2 years immediately preceding your application in a relationship akin to marriage. It's up yo you to meet the requirement. Reasons why you couldn't be together won't be considered.

Showing proof of visiting each other will have no impact on your case.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts