Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, my partner is just coming to the end of his tier 5 visa and wants to switch to being my dependent (I am in the UK on an ancestry visa). I had contacted multiple lawyers last year asking for advice on the switch and all of them advised that it was totally doable from within the UK. Not to mention all the forums that confirmed this as well. Now that the time has come, I called the UKVI phone line to ask questions about which form to use and they advised me that this must be done from Canada.

I have seen many posts on this forum about people successfully doing this from within the UK so I was hoping I could get a few people to tell me about their experiences (hopefully successful)? And how they went about doing this, services used or not used etc. Would really appreciate it!!! :)

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Sorry I don't have any personal testimony, but you can switch to an ancestry dependant visa from within the UK. The form is FLR(IR) and you can apply either in person at a premium service centre, or by post

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/application-to-extend-stay-in-the-uk-flrir

Your circumstance is included in the list of people who can use this form:
dependant joiners who are applying separately from the main applicant – dependants of a person who has limited leave to enter or remain in the UK

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Rules changed a few years ago and now you can switch certain visas within UK.
For a chargeable advice line to give such a poor service is indefensible.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you fr the replies. Have either of you filled out this form before? I find it to be quite complicated - as it is only my partner applying does he fill out the main applicant information portion? Because there is a second section for dependents - but if i fill out the main portion and he fills out the dependents part, we count as two applicants and have to pay double, no?

Very confusing :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am in the same boat as OP.

As my partner is applying would she fill out the entire form? that seems to make sense but the wording is quite poor.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Mick,

I think I have figured it out - your partner (the person applying to join) fills out the form as the main applicant and you leave the dependent section empty - then there is a place where you can check what your situation is and you check 'dependent joiner'. Then in one of the following sections it says 'all applicants' and explains what documents all applicants need to provide, then farther down in that section it says 'dependent joiners' and explains what other documents you need - this is your partner's passport/visa/residency biometric card etc. That is how they know who you are applying with. Then at the end there is a further checklist of items, you arent required to have them all just the ones you have been asked for (if you are going the unmarried route they are not specific about what info you need to provide so to be safe we are doing leases, phone bills, internet, council tax, gas electric etc, all either with both of our names, or our individual names but all showing the same address)

Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I haven't yet - we are planning to use the one day service at the end of November, nearer to the end of my partner's current visa. You get a decision typically within 24 hours

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Canada,
I hope your application was successful!
As someone in the same situation and finding the wording on the documents equally as poor as you mentioned, was your comment correct when you say that the joiner should fill out the main application and only pay the cost of as "single applicant"?
Many thanks in advance.
J

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi J,

Yes I can confirm it worked ! So whoever is applying will fill in the main applicant portion of the application and you will leave the dependent section free. Then later when it says which route you are applying through you will tick "dependent joiner (etc)". Then provide both of your residency permits and passports with the application.

Let me know if you have any more questions :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.