Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Crowdsourcing ideas for Tier 2 Visa sponsors...

I'm a recent graduate with a Master's in Political Economy, currently doing a CFA Level 1 (Financial qualification). I'm also an American, so require sponsorship. Looking for jobs in finance and management consulting ideally, but have run into some roadblocks with the Tier 2 process: have offers from a couple of firms, but they balk after they learn that I need a Tier 2 visa.

I know this is a bit of a long-shot, but was wondering if anyone knows of any firms looking for entry-level applicants. Has anyone had an easy/hard time with any particular companies?

Any help/advice/commiserating is welcome!

·
Super Moderator
18,073 Posts
Virtually impossible. If your job isn't on the shortage occupation list then an employer must do a resident labour market test which means they have to prove there is no one who doesn't need visa sponsorship who can do the job. As someone with little or no experience looking for an entry level job, your chances are slim to none. There are plenty of recent grads who can fill entry level positions.

You might want to consider getting a job at a company with a UK presence and maybe after a few years you can apply for in inter company transfer which will allow you to work in the UK for a few years but doesn't lead to settlement.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No offense intended, but I would rate the chances well above "virtually impossible." About a dozen of my classmates from non-EU countries managed to get sponsorship at finance firms, who if they're not SME's can fairly easily deal with the resident labour market test. I was mostly looking for people's experience with different firms who I might not have thought of. Thanks though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nyclon is right - virtually impossible is accurate right now, your job offer has to be at least 32k up per year to get a restricted certificate of sponsorship for the month of July (this figure was at 46k+ for June)

Google restricted certificate of sponsorship july 2015 or june 2015 and you will get the figures. They allow about 1650 people to come to the UK per month with the Tier 2 visa.

A lot of disappointed people in June and July. The same is expected for August. Even if you find a sponsor that is willing to go the whole nine yards, you might not get your RCOS.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.