Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently in the UK on a Tier 2 visa for a fixed-term 1 year job which is soon coming to an end (and my visa expiring along with it).
I am considering going back to Canada and applying for a Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme visa so that I can return the UK and work, ideally eventually finding an employer who will sponsor me for a Tier 2 visa again once the 2 years on my YMS visa is finished. (I know that I would have to apply for this from outside the UK, which is fine).

My question is, can I work in the UK under a Tier 2 and then Tier 5 and then Tier 2 again? And if so, would I be able to extend my second Tier 2 stay for up to 5 years (i.e. the normal terms & conditions of a Tier 2), or is this affected by the fact that I'd spent time on a Tier 2 visa years earlier?

Thanks if anyone can help!

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
There is often a 'cooling-off' period when renewing Tier 2 visa with a new sponsor (employer), but it depends on the details of your case. In your situation, I can't see any problems getting those PBS visas in succession (applied outside UK as you say). And I can't see why you shouldn't be able to extend your third Tier 2 General to 5 years, but remember from next April there is a minimum salary of £35,000 for ILR application under Tier 2 General.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is often a 'cooling-off' period when renewing Tier 2 visa with a new sponsor (employer), but it depends on the details of your case. In your situation, I can't see any problems getting those PBS visas in succession (applied outside UK as you say).
Thanks so much for your reply!

To clarify do you think that the 'cooling-off' period would or wouldn't apply when I go back to Tier 2? I would be applying more than 12 months after my last period of leave under Tier 2, BUT I would have spent a lot of that time in the UK on a Tier 5. So might they want me out of the country for 12 months before I can apply for Tier 2 again?

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
No, as you will have been on Tier 5 YMS visa for 2 years. This is completely separate from your current Tier 2.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
I have heard of people doing in reverse, getting re-hired on Tier 2 General after impressing their employer under YMS (but in a shortage occupation).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.