Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Once again, you find yourself reading a post about a luckless American trying to get to England to be with the woman of his dreams. I'm sure you guys are sick of these questions and I have done research before asking this so I'm really asking for advice from people that have gone down this road before.

First, background info. I met my fiance on Facebook in November, 2011. Since that time we've exchanged over 75,000 private messages. I went to see her in September, 2012 and stayed there until January, leaving only because I couldn't get a job or get a job because of the "visitor's visa", the stamp in my passport. We've been engaged since November, 2013 and I am desperate to get back to her, get a job, and marry her. She is on benefits and has two kids.

I'm a chef by trade, and that appears to be a strike against me because even though it's a traveling profession and I see jobs advertised which I am qualified and in some cases over-qualified for but I can't get it because I can't get sponsored for a visa.

I guess you can see the questions coming at this point:
What jobs are the best to get tier 2 visa and is it possible for an experienced chef to get sponsorship?
Can I get married to her if I were to go there again, and if I can, could I stay there and could I then find work?

Thank you for reading and answering.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
You are not allowed to look for a job on a visitor's visa.

If she meets the financial requirements, get a fiancé visa.

·
Super Moderator
18,086 Posts
What kind of benefits is she on specifically?

There are a few specific chef occupations on the shortage occupation list so you can see if you fit in those categories. If not, it's extremely difficult to qualify for a Tier 2 visa as employers must 1st prove there is no one in the UK or EU to fill the position.

You can't marry on a visit visa to the UK and you can't switch from a visitor to any other kind of visa. The bottom line is that you need a visa other than a tourist visa in order to live in the UK. As Amy said, if your fiance can meet the financial requirements, you'll need to apply for a fiance visa which gives you 6 months to get married during which time you can't do any work paid or unpaid. After marriage you apply for further leave to remain as a spouse. Once you have FLR, you can work.

Have you considered having her move to the US instead?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What kind of benefits is she on specifically?

There are a few specific chef occupations on the shortage occupation list so you can see if you fit in those categories. If not, it's extremely difficult to qualify for a Tier 2 visa as employers must 1st prove there is no one in the UK or EU to fill the position.

You can't marry on a visit visa to the UK and you can't switch from a visitor to any other kind of visa. The bottom line is that you need a visa other than a tourist visa in order to live in the UK. As Amy said, if your fiance can meet the financial requirements, you'll need to apply for a fiance visa which gives you 6 months to get married during which time you can't do any work paid or unpaid. After marriage you apply for further leave to remain as a spouse. Once you have FLR, you can work.

Have you considered having her move to the US instead?
Thank you for the info!
I'm reading the requirements for the fiance visa on the home office website as well as the jobs. I'm not exactly clear about what the financial requirements are. Do I have to have a job through a sponsorship before I apply for the fiance visa?

Say we try and register to get married within a month, how long afterwards can I get a job or can I get a job before that?

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
Thank you for the info!
I'm reading the requirements for the fiance visa on the home office website as well as the jobs. I'm not exactly clear about what the financial requirements are. Do I have to have a job through a sponsorship before I apply for the fiance visa?

Say we try and register to get married within a month, how long afterwards can I get a job or can I get a job before that?
For you to get a work visa you need to find a company to sponsor you. Chefs are not on the specific skills register so this is probably not going to happen unless you are a "world renowned chef"

To enter the UK to marry your fiance SHE is going to have to sponsor you and for this she has to fulfill financial requirements. Either she has to be earning 18,600 GBP per annum or she has to have savings/investments to a) either make up the shortfall if she does not earn that amount or b) needs 62,500 in savings if no savings.

Read the following document carefully to see if she/you can qualify:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/s...DIs/chp8-annex/section-FM-1.7.pdf?view=Binary

You need to get either visa BEFORE you move to the UK. Also, you can't enter the UK on a visitor visa and get married or get a job.

·
Registered
41 Posts
To be eligible for Tier 2 (GENERAL) category visa you must have a job offer and a Certificate of Sponsorship from an organization that is a licensed sponsor in the United Kingdom. You can only have a job offer if you will not be displacing a suitable settled worker. This means that employers cannot offer a job to a non-settled worker if it means that a suitable settled worker will be turned down for the job or made redundant. For your TIER 2 (General) application to be successful, you must score a total of 70 points and meet all the other requirements of the Immigration Rules.

·
Super Moderator
18,086 Posts
Thank you for the info!
No. It's your fiance who must meet the financial requirement and one way to do that is by her having a job earning £18,600/year.

You cannot work until you have applied for and received further leave to remain which you do after you are married.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.