Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched and I haven't found any specific threads answering this so far, so I'm turning to a new thread to see what I can dig up.

I'm currently looking to relocate within the company from Canada to the UK as a Tier 2 ICT (going to a direct, long term Work Permit seems to be a much more complicated process and much harder to achieve).

However I'm confused as to the ability to apply for ILR once the initial 5 years of the Tier 2 ICT are up. Can a Tier 2 ICT be "converted" to a long term, permanent residence VISA?

Thanks,

Patrick

·
Registered
39,151 Posts
In short, no. Tier 2 ICT you get now won't lead to ILR. The only chance is to get Tier 2 General (much more difficult to get and a pain for your sponsor). And you can't switch to Tier 2 General within UK, unless your job earns you at least £155,300, or you have to serve 12-month cooling off period outside UK.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In short, no. Tier 2 ICT you get now won't lead to ILR. The only chance is to get Tier 2 General (much more difficult to get and a pain for your sponsor). And you can't switch to Tier 2 General within UK, unless your job earns you at least £155,300, or you have to serve 12-month cooling off period outside UK.
Okay, that's what I figured. If my job earns me at least 155,300 GBP while I'm residing in the UK (it will start out just shy of that figure....I would expect that a few raises will get me into the right number...), would it then be possible to switch to a Tier 2 General from an ICT while remaining within the UK?

Also, would switching from Tier 2 ICT to Tier 2 General (and meeting the salary minimums) be easier for my employer once I'm already in the role in the UK?

I understand that it's harder to arrange a Tier 2 General to begin with....just wondering if it's easier once you already have a Tier 2 ICT and meet the salary requirements (ie, does the gov't consider that you're already in the role and thus already required by the company to fulfill that position)?

Thanks,

Patrick

·
Registered
39,151 Posts
But is there any incentive for your employer to sponsor you for a switch to Tier 2 General? Your Tier 2 ICT is only valid for a maximum of 5 years, and it's non-extendable. These changes have been brought in partly to restrict workers gaining ILR, and to enable businesses to send new staff needed for immediate need.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.