Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
For confirmation she got her TIE in August when her 5 years was up, it says 'permanent' and it's expiry date is 2030.

All perfectly correct and as should be.

·
Administrator
36,510 Posts
The only reason I am asking is that I know for sure from a colleague who got a TIE recently and was told in person, then followed it up by phoning that he would not get a permanent card until 5 years from issue of TIE despite being here for 4 years. I know that isn't what should happen but its difficult to do a lot once they have said no. That's why I want to see if anyone with a green card that's more than 5 years old but not marked permanent got issued with a permanent TIE as so far the only people I know who have permanent had it on their green cards already.
Tell your colleague to go back for a permanent one 5 years after he originally registered as resident.

He'll get one.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I would presume that by then it will have reverted back to the local police stations although unlike residencias which were handed out on the spot TIE card will be produced centrally somewhere necessitating a return visit for collection.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
The original TIEs (before the green certs) were never issued on the spot though, you always had to go back to collect after a few weeks.

In fact my green cert doesn't even recognise the original date I first got my Spanish TIE which was in 2004 because the green certs never recognised the previous periods of residency under the TIE.

·
Administrator
36,510 Posts
The original TIEs (before the green certs) were never issued on the spot though, you always had to go back to collect after a few weeks.

In fact my green cert doesn't even recognise the original date I first got my Spanish TIE which was in 2004 because the green certs never recognised the previous periods of residency under the TIE.
My green cert was issued on the spot - & afaik they still are for EU citizens.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
My green cert was issued on the spot - & afaik they still are for EU citizens.
Yes, mine too, but I was referring to TIEs as were issued before the green certs were concieved. They involved having your finger prints taken and also your photo appeared on the TIE, so it required time to be prepared and later collected, as with the TIEs of today, so I don't expect that to change.

·
Administrator
36,510 Posts
Yes, mine too, but I was referring to TIEs as were issued before the green certs were concieved. They involved having your finger prints taken and also your photo appeared on the TIE, so it required time to be prepared and later collected, as with the TIEs of today, so I don't expect that to change.
sorry - misread it!

You're right, of course.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I had one of those pre- green card ones
It was the same as the Spanish ID cards although my wife's was on a folded card with a photo stapled!! I wasnt finger printed but my photo was rejected at one point because my eyes weren't big [email protected] The good old days when funcinarios really were little Hitlers!

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
I had one of those pre- green card ones
It was the same as the Spanish ID cards although my wife's was on a folded card with a photo stapled!! I wasnt finger printed but my photo was rejected at one point because my eyes weren't big [email protected] The good old days when funcinarios really were little Hitlers!
Not quite the same! It had the word "EXTRANJERO" in huge letters across the top, just so there was no doubt when you presented it to any authority! :LOL:

21 - 29 of 29 Posts