Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what issue date is used on the UK TIE cards?. Is it the date you submit your online application or the date they process your application? . I will have been in Spain for 5 years at end of August so want take sure I have a permanent card as I wish to return to UK but as I have children in Spain I wish to retain my WA rights- which means I have an option of still being a resident if I return ( 5 years). So I need to know when I can apply at the earliest for a permanent card.

·
Registered
794 Posts
If you exchanged for a green residencia then your residency dates from that.

If you went directly for the TIE then it's fron the date you applied for that which is on the card.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
My old green one said "residente permanente desde...." and the date I first ever registered. The new card says permanent but no date as of when. It has the issue date of the card which is the date i did fingerprint. But says permanent anyway. You become permanent 5 years from the date you wete first issued with residency

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
In my case, my TIE has Fecha de Emision (date of issue) of 9th November 2020, the day I went to give my fingerprints. My card is valid to 10th September 2025, 5 years after I applied online.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Yes, it's 5 years from when you first submitted your application, either in person or online.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But does anyone know someone who had a green card that was not permanent but had 5 years in Spain and then got a TIE with permanent on it? I met someone who claimed that they had lived for more than 5 years but never changed their green card ( automatically permanent) but when they got the TIE it was not marked permanent.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ahh. Unfortunately that doesn't really help me as it appears everyone's date seems to be the card issue date. I need to know if someone with 5 years submitted a green card that was not already marked permanent but received a TIE marked permanent?

·
Registered
618 Posts
The issue date is always the date when you have your photo and fingerprints done. If you have lived in Spain for 5 years or more, since issue of your old green card, you will automatically receive a permanent TIE. This is regardless of whether you have permanente on your green card or not.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The issue date is always the date when you have your photo and fingerprints done. If you have lived in Spain for 5 years or more, since issue of your old green card, you will automatically receive a permanent TIE. This is regardless of whether you have permanente on your green card or not.
Do you have personal experience of this?

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
This is what i understand to be correct

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
But does anyone know someone who had a green card that was not permanent but had 5 years in Spain and then got a TIE with permanent on it? I met someone who claimed that they had lived for more than 5 years but never changed their green card ( automatically permanent) but when they got the TIE it was not marked permanent.
If you have had your green more than 5 yeats, your tie will say permanent

Its default

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The only reason I am asking is that I know for sure from a colleague who got a TIE recently and was told in person, then followed it up by phoning that he would not get a permanent card until 5 years from issue of TIE despite being here for 4 years. I know that isn't what should happen but its difficult to do a lot once they have said no. That's why I want to see if anyone with a green card that's more than 5 years old but not marked permanent got issued with a permanent TIE as so far the only people I know who have permanent had it on their green cards already.

·
Registered
U.K.
9,103 Posts
The only reason I am asking is that I know for sure from a colleague who got a TIE recently and was told in person, then followed it up by phoning that he would not get a permanent card until 5 years from issue of TIE despite being here for 4 years. I know that isn't what should happen but its difficult to do a lot once they have said no. That's why I want to see if anyone with a green card that's more than 5 years old but not marked permanent got issued with a permanent TIE as so far the only people I know who have permanent had it on their green cards already.
We have a permanent green card which we obtained in 2019... People said we didn't need to. However, whilst I don't know, what you describe is what concerned us, because as we all know what is supposed to happen doesn't actually always happen, for example we had to provide all the same information.. healthcare, income etc when we got our permanent cards as when we first arrived. We felt that having permanent on the card would be better. I agree with other s that's not what is supposed to happen... But....

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I know people who have been here more yhsn 5 years, not changed their green paper as no reason to and their TIE said permanent

And in the office they are, in my experience very helpful.

You're green has issue date. To put your mind at rest just get a historic padron before you go showing permanent residence and if there is a problem, which i doubt, just show it.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
We have a permanent green card which we obtained in 2019... People said we didn't need to. However, whilst I don't know, what you describe is what concerned us, because as we all know what is supposed to happen doesn't actually always happen, for example we had to provide all the same information.. healthcare, income etc when we got our permanent cards as when we first arrived. We felt that having permanent on the card would be better. I agree with other s that's not what is supposed to happen... But....
My green said permanent but was only as i went to uodate address after some years amd the new one automatically said permanent. There were no issues. It just said it.

·
Registered
U.K.
9,103 Posts
My green said permanent but was only as i went to uodate address after some years amd the new one automatically said permanent. There were no issues. It just said it.
But. I think this is the issue. We had to provide all information again in my area I know of others in other regions, like you, who had no problems and it was automatic. We have very few Brits here so we decided to get permanent on the card. We've now been here 7 years, I'm not bothering yet with a TIE as we were told not necessary. When it is clear it is an issue I'll get them sorted. I suppose for most of us does it actually matter what it says, most are here to stay.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I do in fact have a friend who's 5 years were up, I believe in September or October (I'll check and confirm exactly when) and exchanged her original green residencia, which of course did not say 'permanent, for a permanent 10 year TIE.

The green residencia was essentially superseded by the TIE in June last year meaning that anybody with under 5 years at that time will, come their time, necessarily be applying for a permanent TIE with a 'non permanent' residencia.

There will be many thousands of those so any wrinkles in the system leading to confusion or disputes about dates ought to have been well and truly ironed out long before your colleagues time comes due.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts