Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As tensions in the Korean peninsula have risen, various apocalyptic scenarios for how a potential conflict might unfold have emerged.

Since the Korean War ended in an armistice rather than a formal
peace treaty, the two sides remain technically... Read More Here
(source: The New European)

Question: If this happens, and it looking more like it by the day; how would this likely effect the Philippines? Could the Philippines become a target of North Korea as a diversionary tactic if for no other reason?
How would an all out war against Korea and perhaps China as well affect the supply of commodities here as well as air travel into and out of the Philippines?

·
Registered
134 Posts
The Philippines won't be on the list of Countries the North Koreans will attack if it comes down to it. If Clark or Subic were still operational that would be a different story. If North Korea decides to nuke Guam, there will be nukes hitting North Korea before the nuke reaches Guam. Having served in South Korea for 5 years during the 80's I have seen the North Koreans get stupid more than once. The South Korean military is highly trained and have been training for this for a long time. China will not get involved with this, they will have to protect their border from the escaping North Korean citizens. Same goes for Russia. I also served in Desert Storm and they said that Iraq would give us a fight and it didn't happen. So time will tell, I hope his own people will take little fat boy out before it comes to this.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Pretty much agree with Ram on this. I don't think the PH will be involved as it is really not considered to be of any consequence by any of the major players. The only reason NK would pick on Guam is because of the PR value of attacking a US "Property" so to speak, although I don't know what good it might do. He may feel that doing so might entice Russia or China to align with him. I kind of think they have finally realized that the missiles can be pointed their way too and that it may be best to put a squelch on this project, even though China especially has been a major supporter in the past. Not sure as to what their involvement may be, time will tell. It would be best all around if the same were to happen as it did with the brother and I would think there are schemes (both internally & externally) in the making to this end before more escalation.

As to commodities and travel. There may be some restrictions to travel, but I wouldn't think of any magnitude. Commodities may or may not be a different story. I lived (as a small child, aged 2 through 6) through the rationing in the states during the 2nd WW and as I remember, we did OK even though I probably didn't see the whole picture.

Fred

·
Registered
280 Posts
Casual talk about nukes, but if there's nukes touching down we all better hope it's during the Habagat (Southwest monsoon) not the Amihan (Northeast monsoon) or none of the PI will be inhabitable for long due to the fallout being carried on the trade winds. Hope and pray that it doesn't come to that.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Not much that we will be able to do about it whichever way it goes as I know that they do not check with me or most anyone else on this forum as they make their decisions.

If one stops to think seriously on it, does one really want to survive a nuke attack anyway and try to live in a after nuked world. I'm sure most of us have seen pics of the power plant that had a meltdown in Chernoebal (Not sure of that spelling) Russia some years ago and the surrounding area which will be uninhabitable for who knows how many years. I know there were a few survivors of the Hiroshima & Nagasaki blasts but those would be rather miniscule compared to what would be now used. Consider how their lives were forever changed in those few seconds.

Just some food for thought.

Fred

1 - 5 of 5 Posts