Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I am moving to Paris next month on the ground of having gotten a job there (straight after finishing my Master's studies in Russia, my home country). As probably most of people in my situation, I am scared of things I hear about Paris rental market.

My company does help me in some way: they provide a temporary housing for a month and have contracted a "relocation agent" who is going to help me with finding a long-term solution. Still, I feel like my tenant file is quite weak:
  • I don't have a rental history, at least in France (I have some proofs of having paid the rent for my student housing in Finland for the last autumn, though. I was living/studying there for a year, but now I'm back in Russia and I live with my parents).
  • I don't have "3 months of payslips", because I'm just starting with this job (and I haven't been working before).
  • I don't have a guarantor in France (and having to pay ~year of rent in advance for a bank guarantee does not seem affordable for me).
  • I do have a permanent job contract with reputable company, though, so that's something. However, it mentions a probation period of 4 months, and my relocation agent said that could be a problem.

"Visale" program by ActionLogement seem to address some of these problems by providing a guarantee, and it seems that I qualify for it (I am under 30), but I haven't found much information about it except for their own website.

Have anybody here used Visale? Do you have any experiences to share? Do landlords even accept it?

I would also appreciate any other sort of advice you may have for me.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
You have probably thought of this already, but if you won't initially be moving lots of possessions to France with you, the easiest solution could be to spend the first month while you are being housed by the company to look for a flat share (perhaps AirBnB) where you can stay until you've collected payslips and passed your probation period. Landlords in France aren't interested in rental history, they don't ask for references as is the custom in some countries, and as long as you have a CDI with a sufficient salary I don't see why you would need a guarantor. The guarantor/rent in advance thing is usually only asked for if you don't have a CDI. (Unless it's different in Paris?)

I'm not trying to put you off using the programme, but sometimes using these schemes is as much hassle as not using them and is more restrictive, and it seems to me that once you've passed probation you'll tick all the boxes on your own.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Have a look at Sabbaticalhomes.com for Paris listings

Puts you in direct contact with owners who don't ask for pay stubs, guarantors, etc
We arranged our latest apt with an owner through Sabbatical Homes and are very pleased with how it works. We looked at five flats, met the owners at four of them the other one lived in the US so we met his agent. Posted one month's security deposit, no agency fees.

AirBnB is a good idea for when you first arrive so you can have a look for a long term let. There are some lets by owners on Leboncoin and Pap.fr. Loueragile.fr is good for setting up alerts. Stay away from Paristay.com - they were our first experience with letting an apt in Paris and were very disappointed.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

I was indeed thinking of some sort of short-term accommodation for first several months. I'm worried on whether it will make formalities (like opening a bank account, obtaining a residence permit card, obtaining a social security number, registering for a healthcare, ...) more difficult since I will be changing address, though.

I still think of it as a sort of backup plan, of course.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts