Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband's company has just given him an offer to move to Dubai. Instead of splitting the package into the usual allowances for housing and school, they have offered 65% base plus 35% allowance to be used as we like. Bonus will be calculated from the base salary.

The base salary is a third less than what he is earning currently so he will negotiate on that ( we only pay 15% tax where we live so even taking tax into account he will earn less). We will also be losing my salry although I will look for a job.

My question is about how they have structured the allowance section. Is this a common way of doing it? It seems like we are taking a risk as I've read rental pries are soaring as are school fees. Is it normal to be given a school allowance per child rather than a fixed amount? But I don't know if they will negotiate this part as they say it is company policy.

Hs anyone else got a package structured like this?

We will also get health insurance.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
My husband's company has just given him an offer to move to Dubai. Instead of splitting the package into the usual allowances for housing and school, they have offered 65% base plus 35% allowance to be used as we like. Bonus will be calculated from the base salary. The base salary is a third less than what he is earning currently so he will negotiate on that ( we only pay 15% tax where we live so even taking tax into account he will earn less). We will also be losing my salry although I will look for a job. My question is about how they have structured the allowance section. Is this a common way of doing it? It seems like we are taking a risk as I've read rental pries are soaring as are school fees. Is it normal to be given a school allowance per child rather than a fixed amount? But I don't know if they will negotiate this part as they say it is company policy. Hs anyone else got a package structured like this? We will also get health insurance.
Yes, this is a common way of doing it.
At the end of the day, any package is only as good as the TOTAL sum
How it's broken down is largely irrelevant.

Allowances do not benefit you. They benefit the employer by reducing the base salary, and therefore the end of service gratuity payable.

Do you sums based on the TOTAL package, and see if it works for you.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Basically, cost of living varies massively from city to City and country to country.
You need to be comfortable that your package covers this.

In my mind, there are really only two main 'extras' that you need to ensure are covered by the package, however it is structured.
Schooling. You HAVE to pay for it here
Flights home. This is an additional cost to living away from home.

Beyond that, what level of pay rise do you personally require to uproot and relocate?
Only you can decide that.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Regrettably, the days when employers had their own housing stock or housing officers and would provide accommodation irrespective of rental/maintenance costs are a thing of the past. Ditto with school fees. Therefore allowances are generally capped or a specified amount so of no real help when costs rise as the allowances very rarely keep up with that sort of inflation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts