Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am a UK citizen who has been living in the US for the last 13 years. I met my wife 6 years ago, and we've been married for 4. We have 2 kids, both holding UK passports.

This year we decided to move back to the UK, and due to some poor comprehension on my part, we arrived at the beginning of this month thinking that my wife could enter as a visitor, after which I would start applying for her spousal visa.

Obviously upon our arrival the Border Force people didn't like that idea, but they did let her in, advising us that she should go back to NY right away and apply from there.

I talked to a lawyer in London yesterday who wants £2,500 to help us with our application. That's not something I can do right now. But I'm hoping that apart from the initial setback our application is still fairly straightforward. But I do have a couple of areas where I am uncertain.

Our exact situation is this:

Wife and kids left UK one week after arriving, and are currently in Greece visiting her parents. They will all return to US within the next fortnight, and we will submit the online application from there.

I am in the UK having transferred with my existing employer to our London office. I have a permanent contract here, which actually refers to my original hire date in the US (Feb 2014). My earnings more than cover the financial requirements.

I've already rented a house, and will be signing the lease this week.

My main concerns with my wife's visa application are:

1) To what extent we need to explain ourselves regarding our first attempt to enter the UK. We didn't lie at any point during our conversation at the border - we were just mistaken about the process.

2) Whether my continuous employment with the same company is acceptable in lieu of me not having worked in the UK for 6 months.

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated. I really hadn't anticipated this being such a process for some reason.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
1 - Not a huge deal, it would just be something you would discuss in your sponsor letter. Say what happened, admit you didn't understand the procedure, apologize and move on from there.

2 - That's fine.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Salix is correct, I also had a few issues before my application, But i was told as long as i explained it well in my introduction letter and had the supporting evidence I would be fine.

So just state it in your letter and keep a record of your wife's flights to show that she did leave as suggested. Therefore, no laws/ regulations were breached. :) .. this worked for me but i think this should work.
The people who process the Visa's are really considerate, as long as, you have everything in order, explained well and backed via evidence. :)

I have no idea about question 2 hehe.

Goddluck

·
Banned
69 Posts
I talked to a lawyer in London yesterday who wants £2,500 to help us with our application. That's not something I can do right now. But I'm hoping that apart from the initial setback our application is still fairly straightforward. But I do have a couple of areas where I am uncertain.

When I applied for my wifes earlier this year I considered a lawyer as the process seemed so long, complicated and confusing. In the end I successfully did it myself, even if you do get a lawyer you still have to gather the evidence yourself to give to them anyway. The amount of conflicting inormation you hear from people and lawyers is incredible. £2,500 is ridicules though I would read the offical guidelines and go from there.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. Much appreciated. After doing some more research, I have another issue that I am concerned about:

My wife's previous passports are in a box currently being shipped with all of our other stuff from California to the UK. We won't have access to them for weeks. We have a picture of the most recent one (issued 2010 - replaced in 2015 when my wife changed her name) so we can give it's document number, but we don't have any info on the one prior to that. Is an explanation of this, along with details of all my wife's travels over the last 10 years going to be enough?

I'm also having trouble working out exactly where all these explanations I'm supposed to be giving need to go. Does everything go on my sponsor letter? Or should I be creating some kind of document with headers for each subject being addressed? I've found lots of good checklists and such on this forum but nothing really describing formatting/presentation of all the documents.

·
Registered
43 Posts
steveneptune,

I'm not too sure if they will accept that for a passport. as far as I know they will need to take her passport away during that time to issue the visa. thats what they are doing with mine. Im sure Nyclon or Joppa can help with giving an opinion with that.

As far as the letter goes... what I did was wrote out a detailed introduction letter that stated all my explanations and "please see attached" for all the relevant documents. (in order to how i explained it in my letter, i attached the documents)

for example:
i spoke about my relationship and dates that meant something to us( ie; proposal dates, travel, marriage/wedding etc), then supplied proof of the relationship behind the letter, with "please see attached"
i stated where i would be staying then said please see attached and behind supplied where id be staying and all the relevant documents... etc,

i separated each section with a file divider to make it easier.

I dont think it matters how you provide everything but just provide everything they ask for and make it as simple and easy for them to work through so your application is processed with ease/quicker.

Some people state a brief intro letter and then a table of contents with all the supporting documents. Its really upto you, just make sure everything is there.

P.S your intro letter should be addressed as a letter format. ie: your name, address and date, (top left) leave a line, the person you are addressing it to, their address. leave a line; Dear xxx/ To Whom it May Concern... (then begin letter)

the simpler the explanation and compilation the better for the visa office.

hope this helps

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
steveneptune,

I'm not too sure if they will accept that for a passport. as far as I know they will need to take her passport away during that time to issue the visa. thats what they are doing with mine. Im sure Nyclon or Joppa can help with giving an opinion with that.

As far as the letter goes... what I did was wrote out a detailed introduction letter that stated all my explanations and "please see attached" for all the relevant documents. (in order to how i explained it in my letter, i attached the documents)

for example:
i spoke about my relationship and dates that meant something to us( ie; proposal dates, travel, marriage/wedding etc), then supplied proof of the relationship behind the letter, with "please see attached"
i stated where i would be staying then said please see attached and behind supplied where id be staying and all the relevant documents... etc,

i separated each section with a file divider to make it easier.

I dont think it matters how you provide everything but just provide everything they ask for and make it as simple and easy for them to work through so your application is processed with ease/quicker.

Some people state a brief intro letter and then a table of contents with all the supporting documents. Its really upto you, just make sure everything is there.

P.S your intro letter should be addressed as a letter format. ie: your name, address and date, (top left) leave a line, the person you are addressing it to, their address. leave a line; Dear xxx/ To Whom it May Concern... (then begin letter)

the simpler the explanation and compilation the better for the visa office.

hope this helps
Thanks Poco. That's good advice regarding the file divider and separating out the different categories of documents.

Just to be clear, we have her current passport...it's just the old ones we don't have.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Your welcome :) I'm just letting you know how I went about it :) i had some help from a very kind soul who is currently on his way to be with the love of his life. So i thank him dearly and am happy to pass on any experiences :)

o0o0o0o now i understand. I didn't the first time. thanks for clearing that up. erm erm, i wouldnt know much, i could only make a guess that you would be okay. As long as you have the details. Because if i had to use logic, not everyone feels the need to keep their old passports once they have a new one. so i dont see how this should defer your application. BUT I could be very wrong, but i really hope someone else can give you a more concrete answer.

Good luck Steveneptune :)

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
If I understand what you're asking, you have her current passport, just the previous ones aren't available?

If so, that's not a problem. In the online application form, when you get to the section on passports you need to tell them about prior passports. They will give you the option of saying where they are, in your possession, lost, etc. In your case you would say they are in transit, being shipped to the UK.

I'm not sure what you mean about explanations. The reference to her previous exclusion at the border would go in your sponsor letter. Most other items have space to explain anything for each item. At the end of the application there is a space for any other information you need to explain. You can reference the section of the app. you are expanding on, then type in anything you need to say.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Oh yess.. hehe there's also the online application form that Salix is talking about.

But i did both anyway. I applied online and i also did an intro letter stating what i needed to (explanations) to further justify my application and the legitimacy of it. I think writing the letter just placed my mind at ease and I felt like i was addressing something to someone instead of just filling out a black and white form so to speak.

You can never have too much in your application with regards to explanations. just make sure your letter corresponds with your application. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I understand what you're asking, you have her current passport, just the previous ones aren't available?

If so, that's not a problem. In the online application form, when you get to the section on passports you need to tell them about prior passports. They will give you the option of saying where they are, in your possession, lost, etc. In your case you would say they are in transit, being shipped to the UK.
Yes that's right...however she has 2 old passports - one that expired in 2009 and the one that was issued after that in 2010. I have no information about the one that expired in 2009 at all (issue dates, document number) I just know it exists in that box. The one that was issued in 2010 was due to expire in 2020 but she got a replacement showing her married name before we left the US this year.

Additionally, she spent her teens and adult life using an American spelling of her name (her parents are Greek) and when she got the new passport this year she reverted to using the Greek spelling of her name as per her birth certificate - this was referred to as an "incidental name change" by the passport people.

I'm not sure what you mean about explanations. The reference to her previous exclusion at the border would go in your sponsor letter. Most other items have space to explain anything for each item. At the end of the application there is a space for any other information you need to explain. You can reference the section of the app. you are expanding on, then type in anything you need to say.
I just feel like we have all these odd little irregularities and I just want to be sure that I'm explaining things where necessary in the right place. I did see that space at the end for additional information, so I'll make sure to mention specifics in there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.