Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I have a daughter who is quickly approaching school age and we've been looking into different options for her education. I don't trust the public schools in the city we live in. We can't afford to move to another district. We do have the option for school of choice in our area, and that is something that we're considering, I just want to explore all the options available to us. I'd prefer not to put her into public schools and can't afford private schools either so the idea of home-school has come up quite often. We've done our research (both into the different schools available for school of choice in our area and into the support system in our area for home-schooled children). I know that I have the right to home-school and I know that it is a huge undertaking to take over her entire education. But I've always been of the opinion that the regular school should be in addition to the education they get at home rather than the only education they get. So there is that. Now I don't trust the public schools to keep up with my daughter. I know that every parent thinks their child is a genius, but Fae picks up concepts and ideas and figures out how to apply them to multiple situations within the first time or two of being presented with the new idea. She was reading and writing by the time she was three. Keep in mind she's never been in preschool or day care or anything like that. Her father is also incredibly smart and does quantum physics for fun. I'm afraid that she's not going to be challenged in school.

online homeschooling
christian homeschool
christian curriculum

Mostly, I'd like to here some different thoughts and opinions about it. I know about the big issue being teaching social skills, which is one of the reasons I've researched the different home-school support systems in our area. I've found a ton of different groups that have been set up just for kids being home schooled. Almost all of which are within 10 or 15 minutes of where we live. So we have some options on that. Has anyone had any experience with homeschooling or with home-schooled children? I'd like to hear some differing opinions.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
My thoughts on home schooling are that you immediately set your child out to be different and lose the ability to conform, to be part of the wider group in society. This may not matter academically, but on a social level it does. Ok, you can join home schooled childrens groups, but that to me is going to be full of other kids and parents who havent conformed to society and its forced somewhat. As for teachers and their skills, well that makes up the world we live in and its good for children to learn not only from, but about teachers and their ways of interacting and teaching, to see how other children interact and learn, to understand the whole teacher/pupil dynamic. Forget her being academically challenged, IMO there is so much more to learn - even if she just learns how to outsmart the teacher!!!

There are so many more important things in life than being academically bright, in fact I think it can be a hindrance and hold back emotional and social development. So with gifted children, I think they need more teaching and support with social skills - "put the book down and go out and play" attitude lol

So you have to decide whether you want to encourage your child to interact and be comfortable with her peers, or if you feel its better to encourage her to be gifted, talented and educated! Never forget that you are bringing up an adult, the next generation. Her social skills have got to carry her through the rest of her life

My children are all grown now and all were/are fairly bright and went thru the education system and its lovely when they all get together at our house and they cry with laughter reminiscing about their childhood, the things they did at school, the friends they made and the scrapes they got in. Which to me brings home that old adage "School days are the best days of your life"

Of course in the end, childen make their own decisions and whichever you do, she'll either thank you or not. For me, if I were in your shoes.............. I'd do a bit of both. Normal school and extra at home to quench her thirst for knowledge

Jo xxx

1 - 2 of 2 Posts