Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are moving in a month to Melbourne and have two young boys. Looking for some quick advice or suggestions on a good location as we will only have 6 wks to secure a rental.

Things that would be ideal for our family:

-Probably looking in the area from mordiallic up and east and north of Dandenong and west of or barely in the ranges. Open to other suggestions though.
-About $400/wk rent price
-Family friendly area (families, safe, parks, good schools)
-We prefer being near trees, hiking, parks, we don't need to be near the beach unless schools and pricing win out
-Not too rural, need access to kids extracurricular activities like swim etc
-schools that are more nature oriented and hands on, I'm more concerned with good teachers and teaching methods than test results
-Personality wise we are very family oriented and co-sleep etc and it'd be a plus if there are certain pockets of like-minded more natural-oriented families, though it's certainly not a necessity for us.
-places that have caught my eye but have extremely limited knowledge of: ringwood, vermont, ferntree gully, belgrave, wheelers hill, aspendale, south part of frankston

Thank you so much for any thoughts, having only 6 weeks to narrow down a rental, any help received will actually be incredibly helpful for us.

·
Registered
249 Posts
As far as parks and such, there are plenty of parks and outdoor areas for kids in Melbourne suburbs, especially out that way. I don't think you need to worry about that. You can easily look at a map and sport the parks, swimming pools and other things (that's what I did).

I don't think anyone can tell you about the good schools; I'm not sure if there is some sort of ranking but I am very weary of school rankings (personal opinion). I don't know if you'll find that sort of info here; questions about what schools have the "good" teachers are almost impossible to answer. Victoria generally has a good school system; I wouldn't worry too much.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am looking more to see if certain areas cater more towards our lifestyle/views and price range than others. If anyone can throw in some thoughts it will greatly help. I understand there is a little bit of everything everywhere but unfortunately with that thought, it doesn't help us narrow down a rather huge area. Please pm me too, if you have any experiences or thoughts on certain areas.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello,
If I was you, I would do airbnb for a home at first. I know that you may want to move straight into your home after arriving at the airport but home/apartment searches are a little different in Australia. Generally, they are posted on websites with viewing times and then you apply and hopefully you are the best candidate. I really liked using www.realestate.com.au. It allows you to make your wish list and most people seem to post there. Please let me know if you have more specific questions.
Cheers,
Adubs

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes absolutely - we are actually staying through airbnb for 6 weeks. This is why I am hoping to find a little advance thoughts on the area because it's going to be a very fast 6 weeks especially with the little boys in tow :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts