Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,963 Posts
Get down Shep!!

BTW - he was found in a strawberry field yesterday evening - not in great shape, but OK.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Get down Shep!! BTW - he was found in a strawberry field yesterday evening - not in great shape, but OK.
And here's one I made earlier :)

Aw bless, at least he's okay. Bet you preferred Maaaaaaaapie really didn't you? That Susan Stranks was considered to be hot totty by most boys...!

·
Super Moderator
6,963 Posts
Hi,
I actually appeared on Magpie and we got to know Susan Stranks quite well!
If you type ED810 on google and look at the photos of a Dennis 1914 Fire engine on the London to Brighton commercial vehicle rally - I am the 10 year old sat in the middle. My father is driving. Susan Stranks is next to me and the other two presenters are sitting on the back - Pete Brady and Tony Bastable!!
Found a picture on this page of the 1971 London to Brighton rally!!
http://www.dennisfire.co.uk/P14.htm
You can see the Magpie stickers on the side of the fire engine - between the wheels.
We won a big cup that year - best in class!!
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, I actually appeared on Magpie and we got to know Susan Stranks quite well! If you type ED810 on google and look at the photos of a Dennis 1914 Fire engine on the London to Brighton commercial vehicle rally - I am the 11 year old sat in the middle. My father is driving. Susan Stranks is next to me and the other two presenters are sitting on the back - Pete Brady and Tony Bastable!! We won a big cup that year - best in class!! Cheers Steve
Are you sure that's you? You look like you're dressed up as a little girl :)

I always wanted to do a London to Brighton rally. The closest I got to anything like that was being chased by journalists when I was part of the Montego testing team. We used to go out on the country roads around Cowley late at night and had great fun trying to lose them along the way.

·
Super Moderator
6,963 Posts
Are you sure that's you? You look like you're dressed up as a little girl :)

I always wanted to do a London to Brighton rally. The closest I got to anything like that was being chased by journalists when I was part of the Montego testing team. We used to go out on the country roads around Cowley late at night and had great fun trying to lose them along the way.
Cheeky person! - that was my best duffle coat (it was blooming cold on an open vehicle in May!)
The only downside was that you had to be at Battersea Park at 5.00 am to start the journey to Brighton,.
That meant leaving the Denns factory before 4.00 am to drive the 30 odd miles to London.
The rally was always around the 11th May each year on the Sunday after the FA Cup,
We used to polish the brass on the Saturday afternoon whilst watching the cup final on an old black and white portable TV!
Those were the days!!
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheeky person! - that was my best duffle coat (it was blooming cold on an open vehicle in May!) The only downside was that you had to be at Battersea Park at 5.00 am to start the journey to Brighton,. That meant leaving the Denns factory before 4.00 am to drive the 30 odd miles to London. The rally was always around the 11th May each year on the Sunday after the FA Cup, We used to polish the brass on the Saturday afternoon whilst watching the cup final on an old black and white portable TV! Those were the days!! Cheers Steve
Hahaha! Come on, it's not the best quality photo in the world is it? But what a great story and you got to sit next to Susan Stranks too! I bet you were the envy of all your mates.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts