Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize others have discussed items they wish they had brought with them from Canada/US, but I haven't seen anything on replacing places (services/shops etc) people might make use of regularly and I was hoping for others to chime in ...

A few things that I wonder are:

YMCA Family Gym = what in the UK? (I've looked into YMCA and it appears to be a Christian Youth Program there)

Michaels Arts & Craft Store= what in the UK?

Whole Foods (or large health food store/chain) = what in the UK?

Ethical Deal (similar to wagjag or groupon) = what in the UK?

Canadian Tire = What in the UK?

Please feel free to add to this list if you can think of similar things you have come across that might be useful during the transition...

Time is something we always seem to run short on, so rather than "running around like a chicken with it's head cut off", I thought I would get a head start on these things...

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
1. Local Sports centre

2. Loads of arts and craft stores, different names in different towns

3. Health foods are sold in the supermarkets, there are many health food stores also.

4. No idea whatsoever you are writing about.

5. Tyre fitters by the thousand, pick the local ones rather than national companies, they are cheaper.

It will all depend where you finally reside. The U.K. is thousands of miles and thousands of years away from North America.

I an Englishman visited both Canada and North America, It was most amusing when the local populace asked me if I could please speak in English................

·
Registered
19,372 Posts
I realize others have discussed items they wish they had brought with them from Canada/US, but I haven't seen anything on replacing places (services/shops etc) people might make use of regularly and I was hoping for others to chime in ...

A few things that I wonder are:

YMCA Family Gym = what in the UK? (I've looked into YMCA and it appears to be a Christian Youth Program there)

Michaels Arts & Craft Store= what in the UK?

Whole Foods (or large health food store/chain) = what in the UK?

Ethical Deal (similar to wagjag or groupon) = what in the UK?

Canadian Tire = What in the UK?

Please feel free to add to this list if you can think of similar things you have come across that might be useful during the transition...

Time is something we always seem to run short on, so rather than "running around like a chicken with it's head cut off", I thought I would get a head start on these things...
Groupon is not considered ethical in the UK. It's somewhere that has great offers via internet.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all of the responses.

In Canada & US, there is "ethical deal" which offers a similar service to groupon or wagjag, but offers choices that are healthy and green.

I was hoping someone knew of a site like that in the UK:)

Feel free to add to this running list of things people might be interested in locating in the UK...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.