Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Angeles City bans loud videoke, karaoke | Inquirer News

Angeles City bans loud videoke, karaoke.

ANGELES CITY—In this Pampanga city, one cannot sing Frank Sinatra’s “My Way” and other popular ditties in videoke or karaoke machines at any time or place loudly.

Be wary because the city council has passed Ordinance No. 366 to “protect residents from discomfort and disturbances posed by the unregulated use of videoke and amplified sounds, especially during the wee hours of the morning.”

The ordinance, also known as the “Videoke machines and similar electronics devices regulation ordinance of Angeles City,” was passed in response to two complaints filed with the council, said proponent Councilor Edgardo Pamintuan Jr. last week.

Under the ordinance, users need to secure a permit from the barangay (village) council three days before an occasion, agree to limit the volume to only 90 decibels (approximating sound generated by trucks) and commit to hold an event up to 10 p.m.

The city government bought a decibel measuring device, which is due for delivery in two weeks, Pamintuan said. The council unanimously approved the ordinance.

A practical way of determining noise, according to the ordinance, is this: “Any sound emanating from a videoke or karaoke machine being used that can still be heard after a distance of at least 50 feet from the source is considered noisy and beyond the allowable volume.”

Fines range from P1,000 to P5,000 and prison term of six months.

The ordinance bans the setting up and use of videoke and karaoke machines within 200 meters of churches, religious sites, schools and hospitals. It exempted local government-sponsored and organized events from getting permits.

Entertainment businesses were required by the law to provide “effective soundproofing of their establishments to maintain the tolerable noise level outside their establishments.”

Businesses have stiffer penalties—a P500 fine a day after the compliance deadline set by the local government, business suspension for seven days or revocation of business permit. Tonette Orejas, Inquirer Central Luzon

·
Registered
141 Posts
This law will not go down well with the society.
Perhaps the society could swallow volume limitations.
But, I cannot imagine that banning videoke and karoke for every household with 200 meters of a church, school, hospital and religious site is going to work.

Take a map of a city, town, even Angeles. Locate every religious site, church, hospital and school, not just the major ones, but also the very small ones. Draw a 200 meter buffer zone around them.
See how much of the town is banned from even setting up a videoke or karaoke machine. Do a reality check for the culture in which you are trying to ban the activity.

I am trying to think up equivalent banning-laws for other cultures...
Imagine doing the same thing with BBQ in Australia of the U.S..
Is there a good British equivalent? hmm Imagine in the U.K. if one could not set up a pub within 200 meters of a religious site, church, hospital or school.

·
Registered
141 Posts
This law will not go down well with the society.
Perhaps the society could swallow volume limitations.
But, I cannot imagine that banning videoke and karoke for every household with 200 meters of a church, school, hospital and religious site is going to work.

Take a map of a city, town, even Angeles. Locate every religious site, church, hospital and school, not just the major ones, but also the very small ones. Draw a 200 meter buffer zone around them.
See how much of the town is banned from even setting up a videoke or karaoke machine. Do a reality check for the culture in which you are trying to ban the activity.

I am trying to think up equivalent banning-laws for other cultures...
Imagine doing the same thing with BBQ in Australia of the U.S..
Is there a good British equivalent? hmm Imagine in the U.K. if one could not set up a pub within 200 meters of a religious site, church, hospital or school.
CORRECTION: That should have read....
"Imagine doing the same thing with BBQ in Australia oR the U.S.. ", not oF the U.S..

·
Registered
680 Posts
I would love to see this in Iloilo! Out in the province is even worse - I moved into the city for the peace & quiet. And they really cannot call it their culture because they have not had karaoke that long - or electricity for that matter ha ha.

One thing I really liked about Japan. They are crammed in just as tight in the cities but have regards for their neighbors.

·
Registered
145 Posts
How we ever find the next great singer from the Philippines without all those Karaoke players blaring out loud LOL>>>...
the present lead singer of "journey" was found while singing Karaoke. I'm guessing he was heard in the states all the way from the Philippines as loud as they blare those machines. LOL>>>>...

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
How we ever find the next great singer from the Philippines without all those Karaoke players blaring out loud LOL>>>...
the present lead singer of "journey" was found while singing Karaoke. I'm guessing he was heard in the states all the way from the Philippines as loud as they blare those machines. LOL>>>>...
My former landlord in qc is arnel pineda's cousin. He could really sing too. These are a family with money and education. They are the sole distributer for one of the large potted meats in phils. Also the name carries a little clout.

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
My former landlord in qc is arnel pineda's cousin. He could really sing too. These are a family with money and education. They are the sole distributer for one of the large potted meats in phils. Also the name carries a little clout.
Yep and that says a lot. Those with money have two ways of making problems disappear. One is to pay off the law enforcers...

They can pass all the laws they want and they already have a 10pm curfew for noise all over the country.
The problem is fair, equal, and absolute enforcement of all laws. And we all know how soon that is likely to happen.

Reactions: Rogdas

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Yep and that says a lot. Those with money have two ways of making problems disappear. One is to pay off the law enforcers...

They can pass all the laws they want and they already have a 10pm curfew for noise all over the country.
The problem is fair, equal, and absolute enforcement of all laws. And we all know how soon that is likely to happen.
My landlord was one of the coolest filipinos i know. Only heard him sing on his bday. He was very good. He liked country western. Too bad his family acted like unmannered morons.

·
Super Moderator
3,781 Posts
I live somewhat remote or live in a medium sized municipality and I love music, they can play it loud, sing without the use of their front teeth, this one of the reasons I and have always liked the Philippines, rules...what are those and who's gonna enforce loud music rules? Barangay, they're heavy singers and drinkers.

We bought a regulation billiard table and full sized stand up Karaoke system and it's loud, I couldn't imagine being told to turn it down but late a night we don't play it.

Great way to get rid of the noisy in-laws complaining about "walang pera ranting" or they have no money complaints, brother in-law getting yelled at for having a new girlfriend by his live in mistress... time to turn up the Karaoke or stereo system upstairs, it's great. If I want to return to a cemetery type atmosphere, with no friends, busy friends and family tired from working, I'll got back to the states, I'd rather live here.

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
I live somewhat remote or live in a medium sized municipality and I love music, they can play it loud, sing without the use of their front teeth, this one of the reasons I and have always liked the Philippines, rules...what are those and who's gonna enforce loud music rules? Barangay, they're heavy singers and drinkers.

We bought a regulation billiard table and full sized stand up Karaoke system and it's loud, I couldn't imagine being told to turn it down but late a night we don't play it.

Great way to get rid of the noisy in-laws complaining about "walang pera ranting" or they have no money complaints, brother in-law getting yelled at for having a new girlfriend by his live in mistress... time to turn up the Karaoke or stereo system upstairs, it's great. If I want to return to a cemetery type atmosphere, with no friends, busy friends and family tired from working, I'll got back to the states, I'd rather live here.
Might be okay for your business as most anything will draw a moth to a flame. Problem is that they start the noise and till sometime after 3am (the next day) most of the time; no one else can enjoy TV, radio, internet, sleep, or live in their own house.

Gotta disagree with ya on this one. It is wrong where one person exercising their rights can trample on or negate the rights of everyone else within a two block radius.

Reactions: M.C.A.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Might be okay for your business as most anything will draw a moth to a flame. Problem is that they start the noise and till sometime after 3am (the next day) most of the time; no one else can enjoy TV, radio, internet, sleep, or live in their own house.

Gotta disagree with ya on this one. It is wrong where one person exercising their rights can trample on or negate the rights of everyone else within a two block radius.
Im in 200% agreement with you jet. Infringing on the rights of others is b.s. we have a toddler who hates noise and still needs naps. Its VERY irresponsible.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts