Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
Glasgow looks wonderful to me, never been...on our bucket list...in the top 20
My partner is Glaswegian and we were planning to end our days there...but I had to go for a Conference last year and it was too damn cold -in April - so I persuaded her we'd have a happier life in Spain.

But having said that....Glasgow , or parts of it, is a great city. One of the few UK cities where you can get a decent cup of coffee almost anywhere. My favourite restaurant, Sarti Fratelli and my favourite museum, The People's Palace, both in Glasgow.

Not quite sure why but Glasgow reminds me of New York City....

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
I don't want to be a 100-year-old baby, that's for sure.

Benjamin Button?
What a horrible thought...:eek:

So the conclusion to be drawn from all this is that schools should gear themselves up for the teaching of Chinese, that there may be very few people around anyway as there will surely be a resource war in the next fifty to a hundred years, everyone should learn to swim as there are going to be more beaches around due to rising sea levels because of global warming, that the West's decline will be well underway...

Glad I won't be around to experience it. I think the best years are slowly moving past us or are already vanished into the mists of time...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

So the conclusion to be drawn from all this is that schools should gear themselves up for the teaching of Chinese, that there may be very few people around anyway as there will surely be a resource war in the next fifty to a hundred years, everyone should learn to swim as there are going to be more beaches around due to rising sea levels because of global warming, that the West's decline will be well underway...

Glad I won't be around to experience it. I think the best years are slowly moving past us or are already vanished into the mists of time...
The Brits some years ago figured out (see Economist) that making students take a foreign language was a huge waste of time and that they should take more math sciences, etc...well plus everyone else is trying to learn English.

There won't be a resource war, as those that have the resources have always had the resources and control the best armies.

Yes, learn to swim but please stay in your lane. I swim here everyday but off-set it by smoking...the won't let me smoke in the pool even though I pointed out there are no no-smoking signs.

jajajaa...the West's decline...that will happen when the world starts stealing music, film and culture from China...China doesn't block IP addresses to keep us from seeing their online TV...it's something else

·
Registered
7,282 Posts

I think exactly that. I feel very sorry for the coming generations and I'm glad I won't be here to see it. Trouble is I'm pretty sure I remember my father saying that. And his father...

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
I think exactly that. I feel very sorry for the coming generations and I'm glad I won't be here to see it. Trouble is I'm pretty sure I remember my father saying that. And his father...

Yes, they all say that..

The difference is that the dangers technology has brought along with its benefits have made life proceed at a much quicker pace.

Much less time for and value placed on measured reflection these days.

If the Cuban Missile Crisis were to happen now instead of in 1962 the world would be blown to pieces. Twenty-four hour non-stop news and persistent 'leaks' of information would pressurise poor old Obama and Putin into precipitate decions....finger on the button..press...:eek:

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
The Brits some years ago figured out (see Economist) that making students take a foreign language was a huge waste of time and that they should take more math sciences, etc...well plus everyone else is trying to learn English.

There won't be a resource war, as those that have the resources have always had the resources and control the best armies.

Yes, learn to swim but please stay in your lane. I swim here everyday but off-set it by smoking...the won't let me smoke in the pool even though I pointed out there are no no-smoking signs.

jajajaa...the West's decline...that will happen when the world starts stealing music, film and culture from China...China doesn't block IP addresses to keep us from seeing their online TV...it's something else

The USA is already in decline. It began in earnest when it was kicked out of Vietnam by a peasant army,. Iraq and now Afghanistan have further underlined American impotence. America no longer has the military might to police the globe and grab whatever resources it requires.

A good example of how the US no longer calls the shots globally is the case of the American student sentenced to twenty strokes of the cane for dropping chewing gum.
After the usual blustering US threats and demands the Singapore Government relented: the sentence was reduced to ten lashes....

I'm afraid a nation's power doesn't rest on music, film and other superficial manifestations of national culture. China already owns much of the US and the rest of the world. America is the world's largest debtor nation and its global power is weakening to the point where it can be openly defied with impunity by many smaller nations. American culture and the American way of life is not accepted as a universal good by all nations and cultures in the world. America's self-appomited mission to spread its version of a one-size-fits-all model of democracy and the free market, usually by military force, will be firecely resisted, thankfully.

China has overtaken Germany as the world's largest exporter, although admittedly of low-grade goods. It is now beginning to flex its military muscle and is an important player on the world stage, as shown in the efforts to bring it 'onside' over the issue of Syria.

I'm afraid the decline of the West, which probably began around 1920 if not earlier, is already well under way...

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
are some of you closing in on 100 already?
Don't remind us! The trouble is the odometer says one thing, the aches and pains tend to agree (and some) but when one sees the young fillies around, the other bits say but I still feel maybe in my 20s with a lot more confidence now than I had then. It doesn't help that so many of them want to throw their arms around you and give you a kiss! :eek:

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
Don't remind us! The trouble is the odometer says one thing, the aches and pains tend to agree (and some) but when one sees the young fillies around, the other bits say but I still feel maybe in my 20s with a lot more confidence now than I had then. It doesn't help that so many of them want to throw their arms around you and give you a kiss! :eek:

Oh Baldy...you obviously have retained a certain je ne sais quoi...;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The USA is already in decline. It began in earnest when it was kicked out of Vietnam by a peasant army,. Iraq and now Afghanistan have further underlined American impotence. America no longer has the military might to police the globe and grab whatever resources it requires.

A good example of how the US no longer calls the shots globally is the case of the American student sentenced to twenty strokes of the cane for dropping chewing gum.
After the usual blustering US threats and demands the Singapore Government relented: the sentence was reduced to ten lashes....

I'm afraid a nation's power doesn't rest on music, film and other superficial manifestations of national culture. China already owns much of the US and the rest of the world. America is the world's largest debtor nation and its global power is weakening to the point where it can be openly defied with impunity by many smaller nations. American culture and the American way of life is not accepted as a universal good by all nations and cultures in the world. America's self-appomited mission to spread its version of a one-size-fits-all model of democracy and the free market, usually by military force, will be firecely resisted, thankfully.

China has overtaken Germany as the world's largest exporter, although admittedly of low-grade goods. It is now beginning to flex its military muscle and is an important player on the world stage, as shown in the efforts to bring it 'onside' over the issue of Syria.

I'm afraid the decline of the West, which probably began around 1920 if not earlier, is already well under way...
1920...that would make you 91...only 9 more years to go! :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts